browser.downloads API for Safari Web Extensions

Hello,

I am in the process of converting a Web Extension to a Safari Extension. I need to use browser.downloads.onCreated.addListener in my extension but the browser.downloads API is not supported yet.
Do I have another way to do that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of NicoMoncarz Down vote post of NicoMoncarz
4.2k views

Replies

The downloads API is currently not supported. What do you want to do with the information about the download? The best way forward would be to file a bug using Feedback Assistant, and explain what you are trying to do with the browser.downloads API.

Once you do that, please reply here with the feedback ID.

Thanks!
  • I have the same problem. We have an extension running on other browsers with an option of downloading reports but in Safari this isn't available and it is very inconvenient. Is there any ETA for this to be available?

Add a Comment
My feedback ID is FB8689007

I have a related issue. I'm automating a third-party website that generates reports. The reports are downloaded to the user's computer as ZIP files. I want to grab the zip files and send them on to my server for processing. How can I accomplish this without using the Downloads API?

It would be great if this API is supported because my extension also makes use of the downloads API. Perhaps it is not implemented because of security concerns? (or maybe it is just low priority, I don't really know). There are plenty of use cases for the downloads API (which are non-malicious) so I hope the implementation is considered.

I am also facing the same issue while trying to convert my extension to work with Safari.

Following is the error thrown:

TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'browser.downloads.download')

It would be a great help if support for browser.downloads.download is provided for webextensions.

Do we have any sort of ETA for this part of the API being implemented? It is preventing me from porting over one of my Chrome extensions to Safari.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of kyth Down vote reply of kyth

We also need this functionality to provide the user with the ability of exporting the data they have created. This ability is available in any other major browser but Safari.

I also need this feature in SingleFile, see https://github.com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFile. For example, this would allow Safari users to download files without needing to confirm it, and to download pages in a subfolder of the "Downloads" folder. This would also allow Safari users to use the auto-save feature.

I would like this feature for an extension that can customize download directories per domain, which doesn't seem to be possible without this API

Hi, Is there any update on this issue? Will the API be available in the upcoming release?

Upvote. When will it be available?

When will it be available? I'm also waiting for the download api