[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

It’s worth making sure the watch has at least 50% battery AND is on the charger when you do setup. if not you’ll get this message.

Hello, I tried almost all the methods here, but to no avail (all had the same error, so I assumed none of the methods worked)

I'm using an apple watch series 2 , used with an iPhone 12.

So I was exploring, and what worked for me was my iPhone connecting via a VPN (I was using Ivacy in my case, but feel free to use one of your own if you have).

And voila the update started to work. My watchos was then updated to 6.3 (can't recall which version my watchos is on)

At the end , I'm not sure if it's a VPN or DNS issue that resolved it for me , but you can give it a shot and let me know if it works.

I had the same issue. I was able to solve this after I hard reset my apple watch by pressing and holding both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds and and then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. Apple watch updated the software afterwards.

What worked for me was to get an old phone with an older iOS (in my case it was 14.7) and it works.

• To update, what worked for me was to get an old phone (in my case, a phone with iOS 14.7 but could be many older iOS versions) and use that to activate the watch. Then use that phone to complete all updates. I then unpaired the watch with that phone and paired it with my new phone. It worked perfect. The updating process on the old phone took a very long time (a few hours) since the phone was so old, so be prepared.

Add a Comment

I found a fix. Go to your iPhone Setting and log out of your iCloud account. Launch Watch app and pair with the watch will allow you to update the watch successfully.

• This worked for me. Thank you!!!

Add a Comment

Uninstall the watch app and reinstall it, at the moment you will do that update will start upon restarting the app.

Ive recently had the same issue with my Series 4 after getting it back from my wife after getting a series 8.

would not update after trying to pair saying "not connected to the internet" message

Fix:

• Create a 2.4Ghz WIFI network only on your router
  • Connect your phone to this.
  • Erase Watch app on iPhone and reinstall
  • on Watch - Hold Crown and Side button until screen goes black, then release. when Apple logo appears, hold the Side button again for 20 seconds until it asks "Completely erase watch" select this and green tick.

*Hard reset your iPhone (iPhone 12 Pro Max, Tap Volume Up, release, Tap Volume Down, Release, Hold Power Button until phone powers off and when logo appears let go.

Continue to Watch app and re-pair manual mode by entering the code on apple watch

This paired and update then proceeded without error message and watch updated successfully.

hope this helps

I have a series 5 watch that I had not used or updated since I got my iPhone 14 pro max. I let it sit for months and finally decided to use it again. I kept getting the not connected to internet error. I scoured through these forums and tried everything. Nothing worked. Finally I used my roommates phone and was able to update the watch. I recommend doing this before trying all the other stuff. I messed with all sorts of things in the settings and nothing worked and now I’m not exactly sure what I even changed. Oh well, Apple should most definitely have a better fix but they don’t. You would expect a little more out of a trillion dollar company.

After 2 months of frustration and reading SO MANY POSTS, I finally got the watch (series4) to update to then pair to my iPhone 13. DO NOT GIVE UP! I tried all the tricks given and, honestly, it was changing the country to AFGHANISTAN that allowed the update. Unbelievable. It’s a banner day for me.

shutting down 5GHz wifi channel did a trick in my case.

• Absolutely nothing worked for me from all of these posts. Smashing watch with hammer and never buying again.

Add a Comment

I resolved this issue by turning off the VPN on my iPhone. You can turn off the VPN under Settings->General->VPN & Device Management

After spending a couple of hours trying a bunch of different complicated methods proposed, it was the simplest that ended up solving the problem for me - uninstall the Apple Watch app on my iPhone and install it again.

FIXED:

I’ve tried many solutions in this forum but none worked, so I attempted to setup the watch manually (without using the phone camera to scan the watch face) and it worked!

I tried a good number of steps here but did not work. Called Apple tech support and these steps worked.

On phone Uninstall watch app Reset network settings Go to Settings>General > Reset >Reset all network settings Phone restarts. Setup wifi password again Install watch app again

On watch Press the crown and the bottom button together When apple logo shows up, press the bottom button only, it will give option to erase all contents to factory defaults

Start pairing process again between phone and watch.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I tried bunch of times on multiple iPhones. I am using an Apple Watch Series III on iPhone 13 Pro. I’m getting same error. Software update error

Add a Comment