[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

In my case the soultion to enroll update was to... use my sister's ip6s and on her phone update started. Then i cancelled and went back to my xs max and there i did the same steps and boom - the update is downloading.

Tried and tried. I finally got the update to download. Then out of nowhere the watch started to unpair. Now I can't get it to pair at all. (Changing region on phone and watch got me the farthest.)

I wasted many hours trying most of the remedies in this thread.

I was trying to get a new Series 6 apple watch to pair with my iPhone X Max.

I have an AT&T Router that has both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WIFI networks. It is configured by default to put these both on the same SSID and then dynamically route each connecting device to the appropriate network ("band steering").

What finally worked for me was this turning OFF the 5ghz WIFI network in order to force the Apple Watch software update to be downloaded off the 2.4 GHz network.

Here's my theory on the problem:

• The iPhone and the Apple Watch find each other via Bluetooth
  • You start the pairing process
  • The iPhone says, "Hey Watch - you gotta download this 2 GB software update, use this WIFI connection to download it"
  • The Watch gets cross ways when routed to the 5 GHz network.

The Series 6 Apple Watch is supposed to support 5 GHz WIFI networks, but this was definitely the culprit for me.

It's possible that the band steering feature from the AT&T Router jacks up the initial connection, or it's possible that the Patch download code has to work on both older and newer Apple Watches and has something that doesn't play nice with a 5 GHz WIFI network.

• One other data point on my above description:

It looks like my iPhone Xs Max prefers the 2.4 GHz wireless band instead of the 5.0 GHz band when they are both available (it could be that the router makes this decision, when the iPhone is first connecting to WIFI).

This could be contributing to the problem, i.e. iPhone hands 2.4 GHz WIFI details to the Watch, Watch tries to connect to the 5GHz WIFI (as they have same SSID + password).

Add a Comment

Hi all - I wasn't able to resolve this issue "unable to check for update error" with all the factory / network / hard resets what resolved for me was ensuring that the "setting time zone" was ON under system services on my iPhone (General -> Privacy & Security -> Location Services -> System services -> Setting Time Zone" as soon as this was resolved I no longer had the error message

Its a very old thread but it seems to be still active so i thought i would contribute since i spent multiple days trying to get my girlfriends series 3 apple watch to work. Nothing seemed to work until i switched to my Guest wifi network (2.4Ghz). It doesn't hurt to reset both the phone and the watch too but what finally made it work was changing wifi networks

I had the same problem with iPhone 15 and Watch Ultra 2. I cannot update from watchOS 10.0.2 to 10.2.. I solved unpair and reinstall the Watch app in iPhone. This advice helped me. Thanks @wilderwayoutdoors so much. :-)

I was facing same issue. Trying to connect Watch after 1 year and getting the error. Tried everything nothing worked. Finally figured out a way to update.

It seems like my watch was running on WatchOS 6 and Iphone 12 is not supporting next update of Watch OS 6, i.e. watchOS 8.8. I had to borrow a iphone 7 and pair my watch and updated it to version 8.8 then unpaired from the borrowed mobile and paired with my iPhone 12 Pro. This time it got updated to WatchOS 10 without any issue.

Posting as this may be useful for others.

What worked for me:

1. Hard restarting my iPhone 11 Pro Max (Volume up button/Volume down button/press and hold Side Button until I see the Apple logo)
  2. Hard restarting my replacement Series 5 Watch (hold Digital Crown and Side Button until I see Apple logo)
  3. Turning on low power mode on my iPhone (I am not sure this matters, but another user in this forum wrote that it worked, so I thought, "why not?")
  4. Trying to pair again by holding iPhone in proximity of Watch and crossing my fingers.

The new watchOS started to download to the Watch via my iPhone.

Thanks!