Complication is not available on your apple watch

I've implemented the steps in the WWDC 2020 Video "Meet Watch Face Sharing" and have managed to add into my app the ability to press a button to add a watch face. This then launches the Apple Watch app showing my complications, but when I then press add, it says Complication not available on your Apple Watch.
I have a Series 5 paired so all faces should be available, I've even implemented a fallback face but that hasn't helped.
In the end all it does is add a blank face to the watch.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Reply

I think I have finally solved this. In the video they mention that the app has to be published (with complications) first before you can share the watch face. What I found is that when sharing the watch face, you need to have the public App Store version of your app installed and not a dev build.

Here's what I did:
  • Follow all the steps as outlined in the video to set up face sharing, UI screens, etc.

• Delete the dev build of the app from the device

• Install the published App Store version of the app

• Open the iOS Watch app and create the watch face you want to share

• Email the files to yourself and import them to your project

• Build, install and test the dev version of the app.

• Tap the Add Watch Face button you created to add the face. The system should now recognize the complications correctly.

I did find that I had to choose to include User Data on my complication when I shared the face, otherwise it still didn't work correctly. That might be something in my code, possibly with CLKDefaultComplicationIdentifier. In my case it didn't matter because I'm not storing any user data for the complication.

Replies

Any further suggestions here, still have no resolution for the issue.
Thanks
I am having the exact same issue. I have tried deleting and re-installing the app and sharing the face with and without user data. I can select the complication from the watch directly or from the Watch app on the iPhone but I can't add the face from my app.
Hoping someone may have a suggestion for this. I'm still having this problem.
I think I have finally solved this. In the video they mention that the app has to be published (with complications) first before you can share the watch face. What I found is that when sharing the watch face, you need to have the public App Store version of your app installed and not a dev build.

Here's what I did:
  • Follow all the steps as outlined in the video to set up face sharing, UI screens, etc.

• Delete the dev build of the app from the device

• Install the published App Store version of the app

• Open the iOS Watch app and create the watch face you want to share

• Email the files to yourself and import them to your project

• Build, install and test the dev version of the app.

• Tap the Add Watch Face button you created to add the face. The system should now recognize the complications correctly.

I did find that I had to choose to include User Data on my complication when I shared the face, otherwise it still didn't work correctly. That might be something in my code, possibly with CLKDefaultComplicationIdentifier. In my case it didn't matter because I'm not storing any user data for the complication.