macOS Big Sur beta 8 not installing properly over beta 6

Hi All:

I am having an issue installing macOS Big Sur beta 8 over beta 6 (the issue has persisted since beta 7 was released).

So, when macOS Big Sur beta 7 (20A5374g) released, I installed it (from beta 6). Install was going fine, until, when my MacBookPro was restarting, about ¾ through the start-up bar the computer froze and the fan started going crazy. The computer stayed like this for hours, until I cut my losses (I have a pretty recent backup) and held down the power button and shut the computer off.  The same issues I lay out below are still occurring now with beta 8 (20A5374i) which released today.

MBP wouldn't restart, same issue (getting ¾ through and then freezing + fan). So, I restarted in safe boot. I was able to get into my computer, and it appeared as if I hadn’t lost anything and I was on beta 7 (and as of today, beta 8). However, the computer would only work in Safe Mode; if I tried to restart not in safe mode, the computer wouldn’t restart (would get hung up on the loading bar) I ran a full disk utility in Safe Mode, my computer said it was a success. I tried rebooting (not in safe mode) and the issue persisted. 

So, I went to developer.apple.com and re-downloaded the beta from there (while in safe mode). This actually did a full re-install of beta 6 (20A5364e), since I believe you need to update to beta 7 and/or beta 8 from beta 6 and can’t do a full install. My MBP started up fine and normal on beta 6, and everything works as it did before I ever tried updating to beta 7 in the first place. 

But, of course I have a software update (now to beta 8) waiting. When I try the software update again (the same 3.61gb update from beta 6 to beta 8) the issue happens yet again, and I cannot update from beta 6 to beta 8

Now that this has happened multiple times, I will keep my device on beta 6 until I can do a full install of the next beta (or the GM), unless anyone here can provide an answer or suggested fix to update from beta 6 to beta 8.

Thank you!

Replies

My iMac 2020 failed installation over beta7.
Downloaded and rebooted then required disk passcode, then went to recovery mode and reboot to beta7.
I have three Apple DTK Mac Mini machines with Mac OS Big Sur Beta installed. I get the notification that there's an update to the OS, but when I've downloaded the update I get into an endless loop of being asked for my admin password and no update is ever installed.

I've tried using the macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility, which seems to get me further and actually opens the OS installer, but after I click agree to the terms and continue, I'm asked for my admin password twice, once for the helper, once for the install, and I'm dropped right back to the continue dialog again. If I click continue again, I'm asked for the password twice more before being left at the very same dialog.

I guess Big Sur beta is a long way from being released if they can't get any feedback from developers.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hello. I am stuck in updating hell. Could you please let me know how to go back to Beta 6? Thank you.
I have the same issue with beta 8 as the OP, on MacBook Pro and iMac. Any fix?

@munozoga22 

The way that I was able to get back onto beta 6 was by restarting my computer in safe mode and then going to deverloper.apple.com and downloading the Install Profile again. This had my computer re-install macOS Big Sur cleanly (the 12.16GB install), which installs beta 6. My computer then said I had an update available (but do not update (turn automatic updates off) and stay on beta 6 until a more reliable build is released.

Still no fix on how to get to beta 8... it simply will not install properly
Hi. Same issues with MBP 2018, after upgrading from Big Sur beta 6 -> 8 , only way to have stable behaviour was Safe Mode.
I downgraded to beta 6, by rebooting, going to recovery mode (cmd+R); reinstall MacOS restored a working Big Sur beta 6 system, in less than 1 hour.
I am having the same issues as described here. I have 3 machines, all with Beta 6 installed:
  • Mac mini (2018)

• iMac 27" (2020)

• MacBook Pro 13" (2020)

Each of them will attempt to install either Beta 7 or Beta 8 from Software Update, and then fail during the reboot - stuck with the progress bar at ~80%. If I then switch off and restart, it will fail at the same point. However, I CAN go in to Safe Boot and it will work - not sure why. But then, if I go to Recovery Mode and reinstall, it goes back to Beta 6.

Any help gratefully received!
We're stuck on beta 6 (20A5364e) with several MBP 16" 2020. Same behavior like @Yaowu Zhao. Got somebody a fix for that?
I am in exactly the same position with Beta 6 becoming stuck when trying to upgrade to Beta 8. Automatic updates disabled currently and will be watching for potential fixes being released.
Now trying to update to Beta 9 (released today) and the update is stuck at exactly the same point in the process.
SAME ISSUE WITH BETA 9, released today!
The inability to upgrade from beta 6 to later betas is now logged under FB8756525.
MBP mid 2014 had the same issue could not upgrade past 80%

Tried internet recovery which took me back to mavericks which didn't see my OS drive

Did a local Recovery now back online, but after several reboots and an overnight install the Beta 8 is no good at all i would recommend holding off till public release or GM