Apple Watch NFC Tags

Dear Community / Apple,

I would like to ask in the name of many Smart Home Community,

There is any developing / There is any future plan about make Apple Watches able to read NFC Tags / Stickers?

Many of us would like to use Apple Watch to use Home Automations with NFC Stickers, but we have to use our iPhone instead of the Watch, what would be the most logical way to use these things.

We does not really understand why this was not added by default, and why we cannot find any official information about this?

Please provide us some answer, at least we should know should we still wait for this feature or this is not gonna be enabled by Apple?!

Thank you very much,
Gery
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of colethegamer Down vote post of colethegamer
46k views
  • Yes, please! It would be awesome to integrate NFC functionality into the watch for developer and consumer use similar to how it is done on iPhone.

Add a Comment

Replies

It would be super-useful! +1

Yes please!!!!!

I wish this was implemented.

Yes please Apple! If you want HomeKit to succeed and become the leader in the smart home space you desperately need to implement some easy way to read NFC tags from the watch. Battery drain could be mitigated by only enabling NFC reading for a couple seconds after you long press crown when Siri is up, if no tag is detected it could turn off. Most people will not be using Siri so often throughout the day where it would negatively impact battery life. Although with the geniuses you have working at apple I’m sure you can come up with an even more user friendly implementation that could be done completely hands/voice free without any button pushes or hey Siri cues, while also keeping battery life to all day long.

+1 Definately! I was shocked when I discovered that my watch did not respond to the tag.

Power management is key, so power up nfc only when Siri is listening

• Or when double-tapping the home button (or trigger with action button on Apple Watch Ultra) since one might want to use it without speaking with Siri..

Add a Comment

I'd love to just touch my apple watch to a nfc tag to turn on the lights when I come home, or turn them off when I leave. Or a million other things that shouldn't require me to take my phone out of my pocket. No, HomePod is not even available here and even if it was it wouldn't be possible to put one in every single room.

Please provide at least a shortcut integration +1

definitely a shocker when I discovered this isn’t supported

+1 Would be a great addition to Apple Watch / Shortcuts.

I would realy love this, and definitely if you could trigger the scanning to be more frequent than the iphone scanning frequency which is way to slow.

I would love to have access to NFC tag functionality for the Apple Watch. There are so many useful functions this would facilitate.

Yes we do need this badly

Come on guys. In 2023 it should be normal that the watch can read nfc tags. My whole house is smart and my 600€ watch still lives in 2010. I bought the watch because I thought it would operate my smart lock and automations and I would not always have to take my phone with me. Now I have an Apple product that is expensive and useless to me. Please make an update that unlocks the feature.

PLEASE DO IT! RELEASE US FROM THIS SUFFERING!

• +1 definitely!

Add a Comment