Unable to scan QR Code via Camera App on MDM-managed iOS 14 devices

Overview: Our phones currently are configured with a basic MDM iOS policy. The policy has not been changed since January this year. After the update from iOS 13 to iOS 14, the functionality to scan bar code via the Camera app stopped working. A border surrounding the barcode shows up, but the safari pop-up link does not drop down for a user to click.

Relevant settings: There are no restrictions on the camera app and the "Scan QR Code" setting is turned ON

After more research, the following has been identified:
  1. After un-enrolling the device with MDM, the QR Code scanner works as expected.

2. A factory reset selecting "Erase All Content" option was completed on an iPhone6S and an iPhone7 (iOS 14.0.1) and this resolved the issue.

3. After deploying an empty MDM policy to a test phone, the functionality was still not restored.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?

Replies

We also have this problem in our school - and we Need the QR-Code-Scan necessarily.
Same exact issue for my company as well.
Hi there

Add com.apple.barcodesupport.qrcode to your allowed apps in restrictions profile.
Needs a reboot to take effect.

Cheers from Switzerand
  • This appears to have worked for me (iPad OS 14.6). It did require a reboot, as stated. Thanks for the help!

• In InTune, I'm required to specify an App Store URL, not just the package. What would I put for this?

Add a Comment
Same here. We're using jamf school.
Had the same problem and it's fixed after updating my iPhone to iOS version 14.2.
Did any one find the solution of this? I am also facing the same issue. It occurs in iOS 14.3 mostly.
Facing the same problem in ios 14.3
Same here. We're also using jamf school. Please help me.
I think, I have a solution:
In the profile settings and then in the layout settings, the checkmark next to "Overwrite settings of whitelist and blacklist with this layout" must not be marked.
You will have to restart the device.

Then you can see the standard Apple apps, but you can block them via the blacklist.
After you upgrade to iOS 14.3 ... go into Settings on your phone and from the General menu search for the word ‘Code’ at the top. You will then see the option to ‘Scan QR Codes’ and select that option.

A new window will pop-up: the second option down will say ‘Scan QR Codes’ and to the right will be a toggle option/switch. Swipe to the right (it turns green) and the QR function will now work from your camera. No need to restart your device.

Hope this helps!

Ive got the same issue. iOS Application: RSA SecurID iOS version: 14.6 iPhone model: iPhone 11 Pro

The app does not successfully scan the QR code.

Any clues?

We resolved this by removing Disable Safari (that is to allow Safari) and restart the iPad, the QR Code scanning function comes back.

Having the same problem with IpadOS 15.6.1