SQL Developer

I've been using Big sur 11.0.1 Beta (20B5022a) on a macbook pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, and when i need to use SQLDeveloper this does not working, and just show me a message saying "The application “SQLDeveloper.app” can’t be opened." Does someone has the same issue ?

Replies

Same here with Java sdk 11 and latest SQL Developer release today, using Big Sur release.

Same here, tried with jdk 8 and 11 on Big Sur release, I don't even have any error message, it doesn't launch anything.
Same ! Sql Developer does not open, does anyone have a solution ?
Same here. Thank gosh I installed a fresh Big Sur on my external SSD before jumping all in!! Turns out SQL Developer ain't working at all... Waiting for update before moving to Big Sur....
Install jdk 11 then edit your .product.conf (eg.: vi ~/.sqldeveloper/20.2.0/product.conf )

SetJavaHome /path/jdk

SetJavaHome /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-11.0.9.jdk/Contents/Home

Ah so it works? Does it need java 11 or does even java 8 works like usual?
I can't take credit for this as this was on an oracle forum. But when I ran

cd /Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/resources/sqldeveloper
zsh sqldeveloper.sh

From the terminal it opened up for me.
With java 8, most recent update, and the current version of SQLDeveloper (20.2.0.175.1842-macosx) it works. You will have to set "Allow apps downloaded from: App Store and identified developer" in the general tab of "Security & Privacy" .
I've tried all the suggested solutions but none of them works except running "cd/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/resources/sqldeveloper zsh sqldeveloper.sh" over console. It is not a fancy way but it works.
I had the same issue. Here is one of the solutions to open sqldeveloper;

Open the following folder
  1. SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin

2. Double click sqldeveloper unix executable file.

I got this from one of the developers here and it works
Open the following folder
  1. SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin

2. Double click sqldeveloper unix executable file.

Its known issue, Sql Developer cant find javahome. So to fix this, put your javahome

Code Block
SetJavaHome /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_261.jdk/Contents/Home

in your product.conf file:

Code Block
/Users/<username>/.sqldeveloper/product.conf

You can find your java home path, by
Code Block
ls -ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Officially supported java 8,11, but also works fine with 14
  • This worked for me. Thank you!!!

Add a Comment
  1. ) Launch terminal app

2. ) run the following command to list your Java Versions: /usr/libexec/java_home -V

3. ) From the output, the one that is causing the issue is:

"Oracle Corporation" - "Java" /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home"; You'll need to remove this
  1. ) To remove, type in the following command: sudo rm -rf "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/"

2. )This workflow worked for me. I am running sql developer 20.4 on Mac OS Big Sur

• it works perfectly !! THANKS A LOT !

Add a Comment
Hi everyone,

Just follow the steps below:
  1. Right click on SQL Developer in the dock and choose Options | Show in Finder

2. Right click on SQLDeveloper.app and choose "Show Package Contents"

3. Double click on Contents and then MacOS

4. Go to Oracle's site and download JDK 1.8 JRE

5. Unzip it and copy the directory into the MacOS directory

6. Open sqldeveloper.sh in any text editor. I commented out everything in the file and pasted in the following:

export PATH=/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/MacOS/jre1.8.0_251.jre/Contents/Home/bin:$PATH
export JAVA_HOME=/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/MacOS/jre1.8.0_251.jre/Contents/Home

/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper

so now sqldeveloper.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

TMP_PATH=/usr/libexec/java_home -F -v 1.8

if [ -z "$TMP_PATH" ] ; then

TMP_PATH=/usr/libexec/java_home -F -v 9

#TMP_PATH='/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/MacOS/jre-9.0.4.jre/Contents/Home'

if [ -z "$TMP_PATH" ] ; then

osascript -e 'tell app "System Events" to display dialog "SQL Developer requires a minimum of Java 8. \nJava 8 can be downloaded from:\n ...

exit 1

fi

fi

# export JAVA_HOME=$TMP_PATH

# if [[ -f $HOME/.sqldeveloper/19.1.0/env.sh ]];

then

source "$HOME/.sqldeveloper/19.1.0/env.sh" >> /dev/null

elif [[ -f $HOME/.sqldeveloper/env.sh ]];

then

source "$HOME/.sqldeveloper/env.sh" >> /dev/null

fi

#

here="${0%/*}"

cd "${here}"

cd ../Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin

bash ./sqldeveloper >>/dev/null

export PATH=/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/MacOS/jre1.8.0_251.jre/Contents/Home/bin:$PATH
export JAVA_HOME=/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/MacOS/jre1.8.0_251.jre/Contents/Home

/Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper

7. Save sqldeveloper.sh

Now run it and you should get the splash screen.

Reading all the options at the end this was the one that worked
  1. ) Launch terminal app

2. ) run the following command to list your Java Versions: /usr/libexec/java_home -V

3. ) From the output, the one that is causing the issue is:

4. "Oracle Corporation" - "Java" /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home"; You'll need to remove this

5. ) To remove, type in the following command: sudo rm -rf "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/"

6. )This workflow worked for me. I am running sql developer 20.4 on Mac OS Big Sur

• Yes. This command worked for me too - sudo rm -rf "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/"

Add a Comment