Big Sur Problem?: "You do not have permission to open the application"

With the new update off MacOS I have encountered an issue with opening quite a few off my applications as it says within the title I do not have the permission to open the application. Has anyone had any similar problems to this if so what have you done to resolve this and why does this occur.
  • Use this. It worked for me - codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/SpringToolSuite4.app

It will try to force sign the app and give you permission to run it.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this fix worked for me. I had been digging for a fix for about 3 hours. Watched YouTube videos, ran utilities, changed permissions, enabled apps from anywhere et al but nothing worked. I am so very grateful. Thanks again.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this worked for me too... You saved my time :-)

Replies

This youtube video have the solution, its really easy, take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSySXfR17c

• Thank you, this solved my problem.

Add a Comment

Tried everything here includes codesign but nothing works

• Open terminal and type: sudo chmod -R 755

Add a Comment

sudo chmod -R 755

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of sza Down vote reply of sza

Had the same issue, (tried xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine, sudo chmod, gatekeeper, etc, nothing worked).

All I wanted to do was access my print queue!

In the end deleting the old printer apps in the Library/Printers folder and then going into System Preferences and then double clicking on the printers (as bonkers as is sounds) reinstated the printers in a couple of seconds and I was able to access the print queue again.

Hope this is useful for others!

command+shift+G on desktop and then ~/Library/Preferences/ t o find your preference files ~/Library/Application Support/ for application support files ~/Library/Application Support/ CrashReporter/ for all the old crash reports ~/Library/Saved Application State/ to find saved app states

Brows for all files related to your app and delete, problem solved

I found the solution here: - https://www.itech4mac.net/apps-troubleshooting

This works:

Open Terminal or iTerm and type: sudo chmod -R 755 then drag the .app into the window, which will bring the full path into Terminal or iTerm. It will look like this: sudo chmod -R 755 Path\ to\ app\ file.app

Dear friends,

I am happy to disclose that the solution is way simpler than bashing the terminal:

1. search for Activity Monitor.app in spotlight
  2. find your app that threw an 10668 or similar error (i.e. Chrome)
  3. double click it in the list, so that a dialog window opens where you click Quit
  4. then another dialog window where you have to click Force Quit
  5. Try reopening your application (i.e. Chrome) and it work just fine

As a result of updating your OS some files must be trapped in limbo and references are broken. Now, when you force quit, these files and references for this running instance must be built anew.

Cheers and greetings from Zurich, Switzerland

I am totally new to Mac and had this issue. After looking in Finder, I realised (it seemed) the application has been removed. I re-installed and it and the issue was solved.

how do i run that is computer dumb help pls? where do i eneter it