Big Sur Problem?: "You do not have permission to open the application"

With the new update off MacOS I have encountered an issue with opening quite a few off my applications as it says within the title I do not have the permission to open the application. Has anyone had any similar problems to this if so what have you done to resolve this and why does this occur.
  • Use this. It worked for me - codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/SpringToolSuite4.app

It will try to force sign the app and give you permission to run it.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this fix worked for me. I had been digging for a fix for about 3 hours. Watched YouTube videos, ran utilities, changed permissions, enabled apps from anywhere et al but nothing worked. I am so very grateful. Thanks again.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this worked for me too... You saved my time :-)

Replies

Yes, I have the same situation with some of my apps too after updating to Big Sur.
Tried to disable Gatekeeper in terminal:
sudo spctl --master-disable

But it doesn't help.
  • Try this.. : https://not.justsolutionsproducts.com/big-sur-problem-you-do-not-have-permission-to-open-the-application/

Add a Comment
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine <app>

then execute it and it'll ask for admin permissions ;)
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of M1n6 Down vote reply of M1n6
  • This worked for me. Thank you.

• but how am I supposed to do the command?

• Worked for me, thanks - type in top Terminal, add a space and drag in the executable file (often need to right-click and go to Show Package Contents-Contents-MacOS to find the binary

Same issue, some of my Apps do not open I get this dialog window saying "You. don't have permission to open the App, contact Your computer or network Administrator for assistance" Also it happens when I want to install an App. I changed permissions and it did not work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
same problem
xattr didn't help, any idea why?

Same trouble here.
Also tried read/write admin permission, Gatekeeper and also SIP
same issue here. Tried disabling gatekeeper, xattr and r/w permissions in get info. no luck.
Same problem here. Things I've already done:

Disabled gatekeeper
Disablde System Integrity Protection (SIP)
Blocked ocsp.apple.com in /etc/hosts
Verified Sharing and Permissions to Read&Write via file info (cmd-i)
Added check to the App in Full Disk Access in Security & Privacy

Still no luck.
Same! Nothing seems to work!!
I reapplied the permission on the folder that I was scanning to. Works on Canon copiers.

Still having issues with HP smb scanning
  • This worked for me, used the command chmod -R 777 insert_folder_name from Terminal

Add a Comment
I found a solution here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64842819/cant-run-app-because-of-permission-in-big-sur/64895860#64895860
  • Thanks

This solved for me, in my case, the app was "Atom", then: "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Atom.app"

• Great solution, worked with FLUME app for me.

Add a Comment
I also have the same issue. I also have tried every thing listed here and more.
You have to SUDO xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <app>
Same! Nothing seems to work!!
same issue.

device: DTK
One cause of this on Apple silicon machines, including the DTK, is building your app for arm64e rather than arm64. See this post for more.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
  • I had the same issue. I searched for ages and tried various things. In the end, I resolved it getting relevant info from the HomeBrew github and posted it on the UPX GitHub issue log. Check it out > https://github.com/upx/upx/issues/469 In your preferred Shell (bash / zsh / fish / etc), run this: git -C $(brew --repo homebrew/core) checkout master That will swich your brew from the "origin" branch to the "master" branch From there, run this: brew install upx

Add a Comment