iPhone 7 plus unable to update to iOS 14.2

I haven't updated my iPhone 7 plus for a long time and it is still on iOS 11.2.5 (which is completely my fault). So now I have finally decided to update it to iOS 14.2. However, it just simply wouldn't install.

I can download iOS 14.2 on my iPhone and everything seems fine up to the point when I press "Install Now", then "Verifying update" would pop up, and after a while an error message would pop up saying that "Unable to Install Update. An error occurred installing iOS 14.2".

I've tried everything but it still wouldn't install. I tried updating it when my phone had at least 80% battery, charging and connected to my home WiFi. My phone has at least 80 GB free storage, so it shouldn't be a storage problem. I have tried deleting the downloaded iOS 14.2 from storage, then re-download it, but it still wouldn't install and the same error message would pop up. I've tried updating it using iTunes on a laptop, but it still wouldn't install and an error message "The iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000).". My laptop is a PC with Windows 10 and I've downloaded iTunes directly from Apple to my laptop and it is updated to the newest version, so I don't think it is a problem to do with my laptop or iTunes. I've tried downloading iOS 14.2 with WiFi, then installing it with data, but it still wouldn't work. I've tried restarting my phone and laptop, then repeating the processes, but it still wouldn't update. I've tried everything so many times but the same error messages would pop up. I've spent a long time Googling and opened almost every single tap on the internet to try all the suggested solutions I could find, but my phone still wouldn't update.

I don't know what to do know, nothing seems to work... Can someone please, PLEASE, help me :(

Accepted Reply

I tried to update it after turning off the passcode of my phone and disabling auto-lock screen then it worked!!! If you're experiencing the same issues, highly recommend you to try this method out :) hope this helps

Replies

Sorry you are experiencing this issue, I feel your pain. I did want to report that I was able to update my test phone (iPhone 7+) from 13.6.x to 14.2 directly without error.
Because it's Apple product, and Apple don't want you to go on with older phone as they need more money and indirectly forcing you to buy there latest scam products.
I’m having the exact same issue except with just a 7. Completed all the same steps mentioned in original post.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Dcto Down vote reply of Dcto
I am having the exact same issue and have followed the same trouble shooting as you. The only difference is I have an iPhone 8. I sure hope this gets resolved.
Same exact problem, same steps taken, same result, iPhone 7. Really hope this is addressed soon!
Same problem here with an IPad Pad Pro I have Not used for 2 years
Same here, i cant update my iphone 7 plus also, its 4gb data to download, when press "install" its will show unknown error 4000
i try both iTunes and from iphone it self, still show that error.
restart, re-download firmware from iphone and itunes still cannot,
if the upate not for iphone 7 then why when i check for update it will show that update available for my model (14.2 firmware).
also try reset my phone to nothing in my phone memory, but still error.

After i keep trying to update the firmware, then it was successfully .

first i download wondershare dr.fone and( tenoshare reiboot ).
Use dr.fone to check error for itunes and run diagnostic for itunes program and my iPhone.
I just Follow the Dr.fone fix suggestion.

Re-download iTunes programs in the link given - redirect to apple site. i change my phone region to Canada because if i set to my current country , then there are so many app or programs will block or not available.

run again iTunes, update as usual.... wallaaa it was success.
then wait around 20 minutes for update process to finish, i just follow on screen instruction, Done.
i use iTunes for windows Version 12.11.0.26

if your iPhone stuck at recovery screen, then use Reiboot to exit recovery mode before retry connect to iTunes program .
after trying to update my phone almost 39 times always error.
From IOS 11.* to IOS 14.2(18B92)
hope u will success also.
I tried to update it after turning off the passcode of my phone and disabling auto-lock screen then it worked!!! If you're experiencing the same issues, highly recommend you to try this method out :) hope this helps
For what’s worth, I had the same problem with my wife’s phone (same error ‘4000’ , ‘can’t back up phone’ message). I did as suggested in the latter post and turned off both the lock screen and fingerprint Touch ID in settings and the phone backed up fine.
'winniec' tips worked for me, do follow it and it will be ok. all d best

When asked by apple to enter my password i enter it. Then it comes up an unknown error occurred.