MacOS Big Sur Issues

I reset my laptop to the default settings normally (I’ve done it before), but when I tried to reinstall MacOS Big Sur it says “No users available for authorization”. I’ve tried making a new admin through terminal in recovery mode but it isn’t working and Command+S to get to single user mode doesn’t work either. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Replies

Delete both Data and macintosh HD and then shut down Disk Utility and reinstall Mac OS Big Sur. This option worked for me as well. All other solutions given, like using Terminal, did not work for me.
Thanks protossor and leefe012!!
This happened to me with a brand new mb air. Got stuck after following the steps I have taken in the past to complete a **** and pave which, to my surprise, is not even close to the same steps with an Apple laptop with an M1 chip and Big Sur.

First, to get into recovery mode, you have to shut down the device, and then to turn on, hold down the power button until you see the option to continue with recovery mode. Cmd+R or Cmd+Ctrl+R doesn't work anymore.

Next, if you get yourself to the point that you are reinstalling Big Sur and get the “No users available for authorization” problem, have no fear. Delete the Macintosh HD partition and the Data partition. Granted, your experience after that is going to be somewhat messy. Eventually you will need to get back into recovery mode and disk utility, and create a new partition Macintosh HD. Otherwise, Big Sur offers to install, but there are no available HDs to select at that step. You must create the new Macintosh HD partition after deleting both Data and Macintosh HD.

I find that the previous answers to this question were insufficient in terms of details. There was no guidance regarding the creation of a new partition before reinstalling Big Sur.
Same issue. thank god for this forum. I haven’t even had this MacBook for 2 weeks & I thought it was broken.

@marmaladeBen’s way helped. I had only in fact erased the Macintosh hd drive.. I then went and erased the data drive and it worked.
I just solved the error "No users available for authorization." which occurred upon attempting to reinstall Big Sur on MacBook Pro with Apple M1 chip. Likely what happened when you went to Recover Mode > Disk Utility you did not erase all the volumes of data. Within Disk Utility go to View > Show All Devices and select "Container disk" and erase. Then close out of Disk Utility, and now you should be able to reinstall Big Sur. Something to note is that it's possible that erasing container disk will fail - this happened to me. I turned off the laptop and tried again, and it worked. Good Luck!
  • Thank you. Working

Add a Comment
When you enter safe mode and click to option before you enter your previous password or apple id in left corner go to recovery assistant and erase mac. After that you can instal normally macOS Big Sur. At least that work for me. Good luck
I had the same issue, so I've erased Macintosh HD disk and Data disk then it works perfectly.
Thank you all so much for the information on here!
The other solutions didn't work for me, but it's actually really easy to fix, Apple Support (phone) was incredible, call them if this doesn't work for you:

My issue was that I had accidentally hit "Erase" instead of "Erase Volume Group" on Macintosh HD. The "Erase Volume Group" option would have basically erased the container that contains both "Macintosh HD" and "Data" internal volumes, instead of just Macintosh HD.

1) In Disk Utility, go to View and choose ""Show all" (I believe the shortcut is CMD+2)
2) Select the disk that contains Macintosh HD and Data. In my case it was called "disk3". Erase that disk. It might warn you that you will need internet to reinstall/activate your Mac, that's fine.
3) You now need to reinstall macOS now. But in my case, I had an error at some point before that, where the Recovery Assistant opened and said "Your Mac has no volumes to recover". If you get that error, in the menu bar, tap "Recovery Assistant" and then "Erase".

That's it, after that you should be able to restart your Mac (open the start options through CMR+R on Intel or long-press on power button on M1) and reinstall macOS.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of kqtr Down vote reply of kqtr
I tried the various solutions listed on this thread, to solve the same problem. After deleting the Data and Macintosh HD volumes I attempted to reinstall Big Sur, but when it gets to "select the disk where you want to install macOS nothing shows up. What next?
Just thought of something. I deleted both volumes, but didn't create a new one. I just created Macintosh HD and reinstall system works. I must be brain dead this morning. Thank you to all who posted solutions!
I had this issue. Per Apple support, I had to go into terminal mode, reset password, this failed, then erased disk and restarted but they told me to do the entire procedure three times. We tried to install the operating system after two times and it failed. 3 times was a charm. I am hoping I won’t have to do this every time I need to erase my drive.
Thanks leefe012
"Delete both Data and macintosh HD and then shut down Disk Utility and reinstall Mac OS Big Sur. This option worked for me as well. All other solutions given, like using Terminal, did not work for me. Thanks protossor."

thank you so much @leefe012! This one worked for me!!! ❤️

I just ran through this with an apple tech, still in progress but will append if it changes in 1 hour 38 minutes remaining

Boot into Recovery mode
in terminal enter resetpassword it will be confirmed with technical gibberish which means something to someone else.
recovery assistant will come up behind the terminal window
choose your disk and erase it, computer will restart when finished
on restart, it came up in recovery again and I selected install macOS Big Sur The drive is labeled as "Untitled" now rather than Mac HD but I was told it should revert to Macintosh HD when done.