Enable HiDPI for external monitor in Big Sur

How I can force HiDPI on external monitor 2560x1440 to use it as virtual 1280x720 in Big Sur?

RDM doesn't show any Retina resolution.

I tried to generate displayproductid-***.plist for my monitor using a script: codeclou.github.io/Display-Override-PropertyList-File-Parser-and-Generator-with-HiDPI-Support-For-Scaled-Resolutions/

But

Code Block
ioreg -l | grep "DisplayProductID"
ioreg -l | grep "DisplayVendorID"

returns nothing.

Also I tried this script: github.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi - doesn't work, too.

Note that this folder cannot be modified even when SIP is disabled: /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of wnsoft Down vote post of wnsoft
25k views
  • Seriously its a huge problem, Just recently bought a Mac mini with m2 chip, and being a designer its very irritating to see pixelated display. I really love apple though, but these are the basic things to look at right, after a lot of hardwork was able to get this machine, now to have an expensive display feels like a big task, :) Peace.

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same issue here. Can't find any solution anywhere. With my previous MacBook Pro 2017 the script you mentioned works perfectly but now I just got my new M1 MacBook Air and nothing works anymore.
Same here, no one seems interested doing this except us lonely wolfs...
I'm on Catalina.

I don't understand how everything comes together but after a few weeks intense search I found out that a 1920x1080hidpi is marked as "not usable for the desktop".
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coregraphics/1454928-cgdisplaymodeisusablefordesktopg

I also think I read that this is not a fine (1to4?) pixel scaling which is more difficult to handle for developers, maybe causing blurry so imperfection is not wanted.

But switchresx can easily add a scaled 3840x2160 (1920x1080hidpi) which works fine on Dell u2515h hdmi and miniDP-DP at MBproEarly2013Retina

until I close the lid to clamshell mode, then the Dell went black (not inactive, but by a streamer like splashtop you can see there is no more monitor recognized by the system)

So I finally found out that I got to set external to 1440x900 !non hidpi, close the lid, the screen doesn't turn black, now same to do again, than back to the new HiDPI and voila I can open and close the lid like expected even after sleep but not after reboot.

If I don't do the 1440 twice, the problem changes to: now is the external monitor black in desktop mode. Which is very confusing. Also that the resolution of one monitor can differ from desktop to clamshell mode and that it seems that clamshell activation goes from black over 1440 to 1920.

And I wonder if I can do or read something about the "not usable for desktop"-tag or what exactly happens if I close the lid.

Tool to check the given resolution with Tags:
https://github.com/p00ya/displaymode
I have the same issue, and the solution above is unuseful for me, I don't contact to apple workers, as my time is valuable.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of flyq Down vote reply of flyq
I have Mac mini 2018, and good Benq 2k monitor for professional use. Since when I bought Mac I have problems with screen, I can’t believe it’s Apple. Wasted so much time, so much time just to figure out how to increase UI size...And now after Big Sur I’m not able to do force hidpi. To be honest, that’s not right, there should be a big sign on Apple items, that DOESN’T support third party monitors. I really love Apple, but... time.... the most expensive thing you have, you need to waste on such a silly things...
I have recently bought Macbook with Apple Silicon chip and not being able to add custom scaled resolutions is really frustrating. Especially when I see how Linux and Windows can do DPI scaling out-of-the box with any external monitor, but Mac doesn't allow doing that even through 3rd party applications.

I hate seeing blurry fonts on my screen. I have a 1440p Dell monitor which has crystal clear UI when I am on Windows or Linux but mac fonts are all pixellated. I wish I could use a 1080p HiDPI resolution on my external display with my M1 Macbook but currently there seems to be no way of doing this. I am sure many users would appreciate if you fixed this problem quickly.
I don't get how it isn't possible to do this. Why is it so hard since 3rd party apps have done it? This is kinda lame of Apple, hopefully our voice will be heard.
Would like to voice the same problem as well. Got a new 4K portable monitor today and forced to view blurry texts at 1920x1080 because there's no HiDPI.
  1. turn off SIP and authenticated-root in recovery mode.

2. mount system volume (not snapshot) to a editable user space

3. create your own snapshot after modification.

Code Block
/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/

I guess Apple does some snapshot volume checksum in the boot in process to prevent illegal modifications.

I have an Acer 2K monitor "G257HU" which worked perfectly with any windows machine, and I got my new m1 MacBook Air yesterday and it is my first Mac OS machine. from yesterday I am trying to find a solution for this scaling issue which works instantly with all my previous laptops and pc. can't believe I am wasting all this time just to adjust the UI to be able to start my work, and I didn't even find a solution yet. I purchased a usb-c to DisplayPort to try if the problem was in the HDMI cable but didn't work..
I have a new Mac Mini on the M1. I thought my monitor was the problem, so I bought a new one. But the problem remained. I want to go back to Windows/
Dear Apple, why, after purchasing your new Mac on M1, I can't use it normally with my huge 21:9 CF791 monitor in HIDPI mode? Apple why did you turn to users not with your face but with another place? I remember the Windows vs Mac videos under Steve Jobs and I realize that soon these videos will be just right for Macs. Give us normal operation with third party 21:9 HIDIPI monitors.
  • Have you tried using a third party display resolution switcher? I use Display Menu, available via the App Store, that provides HiDPI modes for my plain ol' 1080p monitors.

Add a Comment
Hello everyone! The same issue with Apple thunderbolt display, either small interface or blurry text on my m1. Really surprising... Apple made it possible to enable HiDpi on 4k+ displays only, irrespectively to display vendor. If someone told me about it before I buy macbook on Big Sur, I would certainly change my mind. This is for all us to understand: it's not a bug, but a planned marketing feature and noone in going to fix it. Sad, but true.
Sign here and share:

http ://chng.it/mvKSgMcM

Maybe Apple will think about it...

same here :(