Xcode 12.2 'IPA processing failed' to distribute IPA from archived app

I could archive the app in Xcode 12.2 DKT device.
however when I try to distribute IPA from archived files and it failed with 'IPA processing failed'.
from the log files, there is no useful information.

Does anyone have similar issues?
I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this issue.

Replies

So I ran into this. I want to clarify this seems to affect the new M1 (Apple Silicon Macs) specifically, and seems to affect Cocoapods / Carthage frameworks in a project. I'm a little bit surprised there is no legitimate response from Apple. I've spent a few evenings digging around on this. On stackoverflow there appears to be some indication that the "fix" is to target iOS 13.0. See: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64916429/how-to-fix-ipa-processing-failed-in-xcode-12-2-with-mac-m1?noredirect=1&lq=1

I'd like to hear a response from Apple on the root cause and some work arounds.
I've found a solution or two that can work but there are many variables. Xcode 12.2 / M1 / Apple Silicon combination seems to introduce this problem. I can successfully distribute by using Rosetta mode on starting Xcode. Note however this is just a work around. You cannot edit the Storyboards in Rosetta, so you would only use this for distribution. We really need someone from Apple to identify the root cause. I will look to see if there is a bug filed on the apple radar.

@underpug01
We really need someone from Apple to identify the root cause.

That never happens and this is not the first time we had a problem with the IPA Build:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57382217/how-to-fix-ipa-processing-failed-error-in-xcode-11

The root cause is trying to build something in the background before the user made his final choices.

There are 2 solutions:

1) Run Xcode in Rosetta mode
  • Quit Xcode completely

• Go to finder -> Applications

• Right Click on Xcode and select "Get Info"

• Check Rosetta

• Try again

2) Upgrade Xcode to 12.5

Got this issue again with v13.1. I remembered a workaround from another thread for an older Xcode version.

While Xcode is still 'Analyzing' your archive, spam the 'Next' button. This allows you to press it immediately when it's enabled; right before the 'IPA processing failed' message comes.

I'm using MacBook Pro with M1 chip.

Works like a charm.