watchOS 7.3 battery drain issue

Hi, I own an Apple Watch series 6 cellular. After upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3 battery life has dramatically reduced. Used to use all day and night and when I woke up it had still 30% to 40% battery life before a quick charge. Now battery will be 5% before going to sleep.

please help me to solve the issue.

kind regards
  • I have the exact same issue. I actually had my watch changed thinking it was an internal battery issue only to learn it was mainly the beta software. I have back ground app refresh OFF; all non-essential app are deleted. I have experimented with many issues to isolate the problem. On my AW6, first, I killed using my watch as a remote and it helped. Next, I turned off the O2 sensors ability to check my levels randomly throughout the day - that dramatically helped.

My watch on some days will be at 60% when I go to bed. Many days, it will go from 100% to 0 in just 3 to 4 hours.

There is a bug in the software but I am convinced the battery is not big enough to operate all the features packed into the watch. Shameful.

Add a Comment

Replies

Latest iOS update (14.4.1) seem to have sorted out the problem for me.
Worked fine a few days. Now back to same problem again. Hoping 14.4.2 will work it out.
Mine too. I went to sleep and woke up to 22% now at 9am at work my watch has stopped working. When is this going to be fixed?
Having the same issue with Series 6 running 7.3.3. I used to get 2 days of 'daytime' use (charging every other day), now I get a full day, and put on watch the next morning and its down to 10-15%...something is causing the 7.3.x software to run the battery down much quicker than earlier versions!
I’ve had my watch for a very short time. I purchased it directly through the Apple website in October. It has worked perfectly up until the 7.3.2 update.

Immediately following the update, my watch would drain very quickly and unpredictably. Normally, I would get around two days per charge, and it never once gave me a low battery warning. So when it first died midday, I thought maybe I forgot to change it. Nope!

So now, here comes 7.3.3 and I’m super excited. Naturally I assumed that Apple has corrected the issue, and all the extra emergency chargers I bought would be lonely. Nope! It’s obviously known issue, just type it into a Google search. Yet, the problem is now even worse.

The first day with 7.3.3 my fully charged watch drained so rapidly, I had to fully change it three times. These are not cheap watches and this is disappointing.

However, not sure if this is a fluke or not, but so far it has worked twice for me.

Temporary Fix:
Power off the phone, then place it on the charger. This has been working well for me, and the charge holds significantly longer when charged this way.

Yesterday my watch died in the morning about three hours after taking it off the charger with a full charge. I powered it off and placed it on the charger again until it was at 100% again. That was at approximately noon yesterday. It’s now 5am and my watch is still at 73% which is more typical.

I hope that until Apple releases an update this might be helpful to others as well.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned, I’m a bad person and didn’t read all the replies 😳🤭
My watch updated to 7.3.3 two days ago. Noticed battery drain the next day. Thought it was a fluke.

I measured the battery drain today. Over the last 2.5 hours I am am averaging 1% every 7.5 minutes. So if you do the math 750 minutes on one charge is about 12 hours. Seriously??!!??

Trying @Harvey_Specters temporary solution now.

I know Apple doesn't monitor these forums so I guess I am just venting.
@jdkohler, let me know how it goes. I took mine off the charger around 2.5 hours ago, I'm at 95%. Charged powered off again today. I'm just hoping there is a fix for this. It's nuts. I had to charge it 3 times yesterday.
@Harvey_Specter, this seems to have fixed the issue this time. Been off charger for 5 hours and at 76% which is still a bit higher on the battery drain but not as drastic. Thanks!
@jdkohler Good to hear! I’m at 80% now 7 hours later. I did delete a lot off the watch too. Half of it I don’t really use. Not sure if that helped at all.

Hopefully they fix it soon 🤞
I have the same problem after updating my brand new AW 6 to 7.3.3. Battery life went from 24 hours to 12.

I urgently need a solution, and don't tell me to turn off a bunch of things, like "Always On" - they were working fine WITHOUT battery drain in the day prior to the upgrade.

Thanks.
Same issue here. Apple Watch 6 Cellular. Took a good hit on battery performance going to 7.3, could go all day, and a full night sleep, and be at 30% in the morning. Now I’m down in the teens before bed, and have to charge before bed or won’t make it through the night. Just upgrade to 7.3.3, and it has gotten even worse. Charging in the middle of the day now.

Hoping for a fix to this ASAP!
Same issue with my Series 4 after software update to 7.3.3. Battery life has been substantially degraded and the watch is taking much longer to charge than it did prior to the update. Apple, you need to put out a new update to fix this or allow us to roll back to the previous software version.
Same problem here. I have an AW 3, used to make a day and 1/2 with normal use. This last update, 7.3.3 killed it. Barely making it from morning until evening. Also every time they update it, the weather app fails, will not refresh to current weather.
I’m having the exact same issue, Watch 6 cellular, battery drain right after 7.3.3 upgrade, please fix this Apple.
Same Problem, Apple has to fix it quickly!!