XCode 12.3 stuck in update to 12.4 on BigSur 11.1

Since yesterday the update process to XCode 12.4 is stuck at about 90%.

Not sure if related, but this is in the logs:

2021-02-01 22:58:17+01 decades Xcode[1212]: Package Authoring Error: PackageInfo bundle reference found without top-level bundle definition. Bundle will be skipped: <bundle id="*"></bundle>

Replies

Same here. Also happening on a different computer/account running Catalina as well.
same here. happening in Big Sur 11.2

I have experienced two issues:
  1. MacOS in no way informed me of an update to Xcode. I only found out whilst updating (through brew) some of the packages that needed the lasted version of Xcode (i.e. 12.4).

2. What I don't understand is why does 12.4 need over 11GB of disk space for an update to 12.3? If I have missed something simple this update is a minor and not a major change so why does it need so much space? Working on a MBA (MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)) I'm already fighting disk space because of issues upgrading to Big Sur (v11.2) (especially to Photos).

I just want to report that it took about 2 hours to update XCode to 12.4 on a MacBook Pro. My internet speed is 90.6/93.0 Mbps

I've updated this app quite a few times. It does take a while. I was surprised by how long the 12.4 update was taking. But seeing the comment by hz10, I was reminded that xcode takes up a lot of space, and takes a while to update. It won't update if there's no room for it.

Apple Menu > About this Mac > Click "Software Update" - it may be hung because xcode needs the latest version of macOS.