Why? eGPU support and Big Sur

If you are going to sell your customers on eGPU's by blackmagic in store, why would you not plan on the integration of said eGPU processors via your update to BigSur? I spent over a $1000 on what is now a useless brick of a processing unit. The only solution that BlackMagic and Apple have to offer is to revert my system to Catalina, and Studio 16.

Big Sur has been out how long now, and still no support for items you are shlepping in store Apple? Shame on you.

Get the fix quick. Your business practices are showing, and I find them offensively grotesque. Keep nickel and diming your customers into oblivion as your quality degrades. I haven't considered going back to windows in decades, but now I am busting out the user manuals. Abandon ship.

Apple, what a let down you have become. You used to be the pride and joy of design. Now you are the bane and boon.

Replies

yea, I think they fixed it but, I agree I spent $1400 on a razer core x and radeon 5700xt only to find it doesnt work on Big Sur ;-;
but like I said I think they fixed it (my source is r/egpu, I asked there recently)
Has anyone gotten a black magic eGPU to work on Big Sur? I’m in a similar situation. Upgraded because Octane X required Big Sur. Now none of my main graphics apps work — photoshop, Houdini. They all just have blank windows. The only solution I’ve seen is reverting back to Catalina, which is both arduous and would mean giving up on apps like Octane that require the newest version of Metal.

eGPU works in Unreal Engine and Octane, so I’m not sure why it’s busted all the other apps I rely on that I mentioned above. If it were just one of them, it would seem to be an issue on their end — but this is causing the same issue of blank windows across the board, which leads me to the conclusion that this is a Big Sur problem.

Same here. I got a Razer Core X eGPU case with a Radeon RX 64, and it worked stably on Catalina. On Big Sur it used to work so, so, but I had to disconnect the eGPU by just pulling the plug otherwise it would crash the system. Ever since 11.4 and 11.5 I get random freezes all the time. And when it goes to sleep random system shut downs. Almost feels deliberate, the timing is just a bit too convenient, just when the M1 Macs came out the newer system updates basically wrecked my experience with eGPUs. What are the odds?