Sidecar not connecting, device timed out...

I have a new iPad Air (4th Gen) trying to connect with my Macbook Pro 2017 on Big Sur... Display is not connecting and request times out.

They are on the same Wifi network, have bluetooth enabled (although the devices wont connect to each other, but show under My Devices), have Handoff enabled, and am logged in under the same Apple ID with 2FA.

I’ve tried restarting the devices, toggling settings, and resetting network settings... I've tried all of the above connected with a USB-C and also unconnected.

The iPad is set as a Trusted device via Finder when plugged into my Macbook. Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks in advance!
  • My case: ipad air 5, macbook air m2

logging out of both devices doesn't work for me. But once after they are connected via type-c, the screen mirroring starts to work for using wifi and bluetooth.

Add a Comment

Replies

EDIT: Fixed it by logging out of my Apple ID on both the Mac & iPad, logged back in and it connected~

Logging out of my AppleID on my Macbook and iPad also fixed the Device timed out problem.

I have the same issue, signed out of my Apple ID and restarted both devices to no avail. Latest OS too for both devices.

I have the same issue, TT signed out of my Apple ID and restarted both devices but it doesn't work..... Lateat OS too for both devices

FIXED!! I had the same issues suddenly spring up, after working for months without issues. I tried deleting the 'preferences' and 'networkInterfaces' plists in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder on my Macbook Pro. I tried resetting the network settings in my iPad Pro's General>Transfer or Reset iPad>Resett>Reset Network Settings. Turn off and back on the handoff option on both the Macbook Pro and iPad Pro. Rebooted and shut down both devices gazillion times, changed tried with 3 different cables including the Mac and iPad charging cables but nothing worked. It was quite the head-scratcher, everything was working perfectly when I went to bed last night. I logged out of both devices' iCould accounts. After 3 frustrating reboots of both devices, VIOLA!! everything began working again as before. I've tried to duplicate the issue by restarting both devices and turning off Wi-Fi but I haven't been successful in breaking it. I hope this helps someone with the same issue. Trying logging out of iCloud accounts on both devices before everything else.

Its really annoying because Apple is aware this is an ongoing issue for users and refuses to acknowledge it. I've called and spoken to several different technical support reps at Apple and they are clueless. They need to fix this in an update ASAP cause it's happened countless times for me. I know all the different ways to get it working again but it is SUCH a hassle and sometimes happens only one or two days after I get it up and running. Very annoying!

Hello from 2023,

I had the same issue as you all guys facing, it took me 2 hours to solve !

**Here is the summary of what I have **

• Macbook pro 2021 m1 pro.
  • Ipad 2015 wifi version.

Here are the steps I have done to fix this:

1. Sign out from IPAD
  2. Sign in to IPAD
  3. Sign out from Macbook pro
  4. Sign in to MacBook pro
  5. reboot both
  6. Reset network settings from IPAD (General -> reset (or something close to that word) -> Reset network settings)
  7. reboot both
  8. Connect both using a wired connection (so that both can trust each other)
  9. Reboot both
  10. Now both can see each other & work great.
  11. I recommend connecting both wired as the connection is way stronger, and it does not disconnect any frequently.

If it works for you upvote so that others can see it as well !

Are there any other steps that I can try? I've tried the steps listed above and the issue still persists for me.

• I fixed it by deactivating the VPN on my mac and disconnecting any other bluetooth devices from it.

• Yes, seems to be some routing issue. Thanks for the help @trizzy, it worked. The only issue now is that either i extend my Mac on ipad or connect on VPN. Not both simultaneously.

Add a Comment

also make sure the screen time out setting is the same on ipad and mac i think, which can be changed as settings>general>display>auto-lock>never

I was able to work on this by resetting all the settings of ipad , it won't hurt any of your data.

• Thank you so much for this suggestion! I had tried everything on this thread and nothing worked but THIS, this worked.

Add a Comment

FIXED:

I too tried everything above but then removed my Google One VPN from iPad and MacBook.

Everything sprang into action!!

Do I seriously have to delete my entire photo library from my macbook just to get my ipad connected? All I did was switch to a new wifi provider in my house.

FIXED: 1) Make sure you are connected to the same WIFI network on your Mac and iPad, then 2) on you Mac open WIFI Settings, then click on the ellipsis ("...") to drill down further into the WIFI settings, then click "Network Settings". Turn off "Limit IP address tracking"

Now go and retry connecting to your iPad using Sidecar via the Displays section of settings. This should now work.

You can then turn "Limit IP address tracking" back on.

This fixed it for me. Hopefully it will work for you all too! :)

I just had the same issue. Usually it would disconnect for no reason (that I know of) and I'd simply connect it again. Which by itself is already a bug worth fixing.

This time I've gotten the "timed out" pop ups.

What I did in the last 15 minutes to try and fix it:

-switch off the airplay options -switch off and on wifi, disconnect and connext the USB

I don't think that that helped.

Switching off airplane mode is what it did for me. Wouldn't know why or how, but that did it.

Another bug apple should fix is that the cable connection works for hours, to then stop working out of nowhere and starting to demand a wifi connection.

• Turning airplane mode on and off on the iPad also worked for me.

Add a Comment

FIXED.

For those who've tried the other fixes in this comment thread, THIS is what I had to do to get my 12" iPad Pro's display connected to/through Sidecar. I connect to my 2019 MacBook Pro 15" i9 8 core model.

**What I did:

Open settings in iPad. Check upper Left your Name and Photo, and if you have errors related to iCloud, iCloud sync, or encryption errors, make the needed corrections and it should solve the connection issue. iPad and MacBook appear to need point to point encryption in order to allow that connection.

Hope this helps someone... Let me know!