Screen Time for your self

Can I use Screen Time's Managed Settings to block access to certain apps on just my device, without the parent control part because the user creates a setup for themselves and for their own device?

Add a Comment

Replies

Requesting authorization via FamilyControls is a requirement to access most of the ManagedSettings API and the entirety of the DeviceActivity API. An app running on a device can only successfully request FamilyControls authorization when the currently signed in account is a child in a Family Sharing circle.

+1 self regulation was the first thing I thought of when seeing this API.

yeah i was so surprised they had the 'focus' feature but not a way to actually block apps instead of just hiding them.

in this day and age with everyone being addicted to their phones/computers we really need a way to fight against it; especially now that a lot of people have to work from home making it even harder to fight the distractions.

as they say, modern problems require modern solutions

i don't know if this will help you but i built an app that present the FamilyActivityPicker and run it on the child device the familyActivityPicker in my app shows the apps installed on the device and after selecting one app only i used these lines of code:

if(self.mySelection.applications.count == 0 ) {       store.shield.applications = nil     } else {       store.shield.applications = self.mySelection.applicationTokens     }

by clicking a button and the app was blocked on the child device so maybe the solution for self regulation is set yourself as a child on a family.

hope i helped!

• This topic is not about a child's device. It's about using the ScreenTime API for your own device(s).

Add a Comment