Find My unable to connect to server

Anyone running iOS 15 beta having issues with Find My? I am able to locate myself however none of the other 5 members of my family. After opening Find My app I am presented with a dialogue box saying “Find My Unavailable - Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later.” I have restarted, turned on and off Find My…everything under the sun I could think of short of factory reset. Ideas?!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Tpray519 Down vote post of Tpray519
31k views
  • Tpray519 - did Apple engineers fix this problem for you?

• No they said this shouldn’t be happening and have no idea what is causing it.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Hey everyone,

You’re right—no fix in iOS 15.0 Beta 2 (19A5281h).

I have tried to be as meticulous as possible at troubleshooting; but this issue can only be solved with Apple’s help.

I have a ticket open with AppleCare Tier 2, and the case is being investigated by iCloud Engineering. I’ll contribute updates here with everyone.

After updating to iOS 15.0 Beta 1, the error on iPhone is:

• Settings > [Name] > Find My >
  • “Share My Location Unavailable.”
  • “Unable to connect to server. Please try again later.”

In an attempt to solve, I restored the iPhone to 14.6 and set up as new. However, the issue persists.

Find My ‘device’ cannot be enabled on:

• Apple Watch on watchOS 7.5
  • MacBook Air on macOS 11.4

And consequently, Find My ‘device’ via iCloud.com does not list Apple Watch or MacBook Air.

Find My Friends cannot be enabled on:

• iPhone on iOS 14.6

As you have all noted, elements of Find My ‘device’ and Find My Friends are accessible via iCloud.com.

This issue appears to be account related since it does not affect Apple IDs that have not been exposed to iOS 15.

Lastly, I have a Beta Feedback ticket ‘open’ which Apple has marked ‘more than 10 [users]’ affected.

• Enjoy Tier 2! They sent me to Tier 2…few of the same phone calls with the same menial task requests of press this button…oh yeah still not working hmmm…and then the calls and support stopped and I was ghosted. I hope you have more patience than me. I will play the game until iOS 15 goes live to all users and if not fixed will be seeking legal action.

• Thank you for your thoroughness. I exhausted all options at troubleshooting on my end. The fix lies on Apple and the iCloud team. I’ve been sending in feedback as well and I see the same as you. Please keep us updated on anything you learn!

• Yep this is exactly what I have going on as well. Can't enable Find My on my Macs regardless of beta, etc.

I do have an open ticket with "more than 10" as well. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Thanks for posting this and keeping everyone else updated!

Replies

Please try again later.

Have you taken enough time when you tried again? Apple's server related to WWDC may be getting too heavy and some services would not work properly.

And anyway, iOS 15 beta is a beta version of a product and it may contain many flaws or bugs. If the issue continues even if you try it later (with enough interval), you should better send a bug report.

• OOPer, Thank you for your comment! I am aware that any beta version comes with its potential glitches however I have been attempting to open/connect to Find My as well as Share Location for near 24 hours. I will certainly give it more time. I was more or less trying to identify if it was directly related to my device/settings or if it were more widely known. A bug report had been submitted...just waiting at this point!

Add a Comment

No issues here. Perhaps there’s an intermittent outage of the servers?

That said, some additional things you can try are:

1. Confirm it’s not your internet connection. Does this happen on WiFi, cellular, or both?
  2. See if it has to do with the new private relay service by disabling it (double check if the toggle under cellular is disabled as well when you disable it under iCloud)
  3. Check if you have similar issues on another device, and/or another device that runs a production version of iOS

Ans of course, if the issue persist, file a bug report via Feedback Assistant.

• PoseidonTech,

Thank you for your suggestions! While I had attempted all the other common setting changes like the cellular toggles and alternate networks, I did not think to disable the private relay. To update you on that...toggled the relay off and did a restart with no change. Toggled the Find My off and the relay off and another restart with no change. I suppose I will await a response from the bug ticket. Thank you for your time and advice!

Add a Comment

Was not an issue with the software. Something corrupted my Apple ID and engineers are now attempting to figure out what and how to resolve and fix it.

• Have they resolved it yet? I submitted a bug in Feedback Assistant and am attempting to have Apple Support look into it for me since it affects non-beta devices also.

• No they have no idea what is causing it.

Add a Comment

Same issue here, have you solved and in which way?

• Same thing happened to me yesterday. Sent in a bug report with detail. I have my main back up devices, but this bug has happened on my iPhone, iPad and Mac. If I go to iCloud.com, I can use the Find My service without any problems. I've troubleshot for the last day, trying to figure out what could have happened, and can't figure it out. I did a restore on the iPhone and the problem still persists. I haven't reverted any software back yet. Even if I have Find My on, it shows off if I go to another device and go to settings, my profile, and select the device from the list. It always shows as Find My is turned off.

• I am having this exact issue. Submitted a bug report as well.

• Just reported the issue via the feedback app

Add a Comment

Same issue - on all my devices iOS / iPadOS 15 beta devices as well as iOS 14 devices. Issue has started this morning after I Have reset my Apple Watch with watchOS 8. After repairing the issue with „Find my“ Unavailable - Unable to connect so server has started. So must be related to the Apple ID. On a different iOS device I‘m using another Apple ID and there are no issues.

After installing iOS 15 beta 2 - no change, same issue

Same here. iOS 15 Beta 2 and issue persists.

Is there anything enabled in "Settings - Apple ID - iCloud - Find Me"? I'm having the same symptoms, and "icloud.kr.smoon.Adblock" is activated, and I don't know what it is, and it's not deactivated. Something tells me it's because of this, but I don't know how to solve it.

• No idea but I get frequent prompts to reenter icloud/Apple ID password, share location and find my will not connect to server on ANY device, iCalendar requires me to verify icloud ID however wont let me, battery runs very hot and drains in minutes, and frequently needs restart as it drops cellular connection. iOS 15 has corrupted my Apple ID and killed my device. Not happy right now as no one at Apple has a clue what is going on or how to solve…they just say there should be no reason it is happening across devices and on other iOS versions. Everything works on icloud.com however.

Add a Comment

Has anyone been successful in resolving this to date?

• Apple gives the run around but did say that it shouldn’t be happening and that they have no idea how to fix it as they don’t know whats causing it.

• It has to to with resetting / restoring iOS 15 beta devices. Error appeared with my Apple ID after I did a reset of my Apple Watch 6 running watchOS 8 beta 1 and did a new pairing afterwards. Since then I get presented with the error message on all of my Apple devices (iOS, iPadOS, watchOS and macOS) independent of the running version of the OS. Only via the iCloud webpage I can see the location of my associates / peers. If I go into the settings of my iPhone - Settings, Apple ID, Find My I also get the error message and I can’t switch of the lever “sharing my location” - it immediately presents me with error message again (most likely as I can’t connect to the tracking service).

• I am experiencing exact the same issue. On macOS, I found this log entry after I started My Find App:

problem 15:54:26.347870+0200 FindMy {"msg":"#Spi, CLInternalGetPrecisionPermission failed", "error":"Error Domain=com.apple.locationd.internalservice.errorDomain Code=0 "(null)""}

I am having the same issue. I installed iOS 15 on my old iPhone 8, then when my new iPad pro arrived and I tried to set it up I got an error trying to setup my Apple ID. And now the error has propagated to all my devices, even making my main iPhone 12 lock up temporarily when trying to access features related to my Apple ID. At a loss of what to do at this point. Have since taken iOS 15 off my old iPhone 8 but looks like the damage was done and now I’m stuck.

Hey everyone,

You’re right—no fix in iOS 15.0 Beta 2 (19A5281h).

I have tried to be as meticulous as possible at troubleshooting; but this issue can only be solved with Apple’s help.

I have a ticket open with AppleCare Tier 2, and the case is being investigated by iCloud Engineering. I’ll contribute updates here with everyone.

After updating to iOS 15.0 Beta 1, the error on iPhone is:

• Settings > [Name] > Find My >
  • “Share My Location Unavailable.”
  • “Unable to connect to server. Please try again later.”

In an attempt to solve, I restored the iPhone to 14.6 and set up as new. However, the issue persists.

Find My ‘device’ cannot be enabled on:

• Apple Watch on watchOS 7.5

And consequently, Find My ‘device’ via iCloud.com does not list Apple Watch or MacBook Air.

Find My Friends cannot be enabled on:

• iPhone on iOS 14.6

As you have all noted, elements of Find My ‘device’ and Find My Friends are accessible via iCloud.com.

This issue appears to be account related since it does not affect Apple IDs that have not been exposed to iOS 15.

Lastly, I have a Beta Feedback ticket ‘open’ which Apple has marked ‘more than 10 [users]’ affected.

• Enjoy Tier 2! They sent me to Tier 2…few of the same phone calls with the same menial task requests of press this button…oh yeah still not working hmmm…and then the calls and support stopped and I was ghosted. I hope you have more patience than me. I will play the game until iOS 15 goes live to all users and if not fixed will be seeking legal action.

• Thank you for your thoroughness. I exhausted all options at troubleshooting on my end. The fix lies on Apple and the iCloud team. I’ve been sending in feedback as well and I see the same as you. Please keep us updated on anything you learn!

• Yep this is exactly what I have going on as well. Can't enable Find My on my Macs regardless of beta, etc.

I do have an open ticket with "more than 10" as well. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Thanks for posting this and keeping everyone else updated!

Holy shit I thought I was going crazy. Im having this exact problem. Going from iOS 15 Beta 2 to iOS 14.6 is showing this error and have no idea what to do. My Mac Mini M1 had macOS 12 Beta and then i restored back to Big Sur with Apple Configurator, but it also cant enable Find My, and that one is worse, it cant even show up in Find My page, the iPhone does show.

does anyone have any updates on this? Has anyone been able to get through to Apple? I’ve had a bug report that is still listed as open, but no response to it. Apple Support went as far as they could go with their final answer being they’ve exhausted all options and was nothing more they could do about it.

• I’m totally ok with bugs on devices that are running beta SW but if it’s disabling functions on device running released SW then this is something else. They should now get the right technicians on that issue… otherwise device tracking is disabled on all devices associated with that Apple ID. So what are they now suggesting? That we switch switch to another Apple ID??? That’s by the way not even an option… I’m really hoping that they getting more pressure now from the public beta testers (hoping the error still persists…)

• No and there are quite a few people who are very upset right now. I am considering my options if they cant figure this out.

• I have no other options. My Apple Card is on my account and can’t be moved to another Apple ID without closing it out and I’m not about to ***** up my credit score over this bug. There would be some seriously considered legal actions before that happens.

Add a Comment

Good news - just woke up and started “Find my” on my iPhone 12 Pro. And what should I say, the issue is fixed at least with my Apple ID and all my devices. So somebody must have fixed, something. Thank you Apple…

• Did you do anything different to make it work?

• No I didn’t. The only thing I did yesterday evening (UTC Time) was related to my Apple Watch running watchOS 8. On my iPhone I went into settings, general, iPhone storage, Watch and deleted some really old backups. Since my issue started with just resetting and new pairing of my Apple Watch I noticed during the setup that I had a large Nummer of Apple Watch backups to choose from, so I thought I clean that up…. But I’m almost sure this is not related at all. This morning I opened “Find my” and it was just working… But I’m now staying away to reset and pair my Apple Watch again until watchOS 8 and iOS 15 gets released… and I don’t even want to do another test run to see if it is causing the issue again…

• Hopefully they identified the bug and now just applying the fix across the servers. Fingers crossed they’ll get to me.

Add a Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks to @slotcarbuddy, I can report that Find My and Find My Friends are now working as expected across all devices.

All I needed to do on iPhone:

• Settings > [Name] > Find My > Use This iPhone as My Location

It appears that Apple has just resolved this account-related issue.

We rode the wave together! 😀

• @richy what a ride… but we stayed together…

• Glad you guys got fixed, unfortunately it is not fixed for me. Even tried signing out of iCloud and back in, rebooted the phone and still nothing.

• Mine is fixed as well! Hopefully yours will resolve soon Bvledford.