You do not have permission to open the application “Brother Scanner”.

Hello, I am looking for a solution for an issue with Image Capture on BigSur. When I am opening Image Capture popup with message "You do not have permission to open the application “Brother Scanner”" opens. I saw a couple of possible solutions over the internet, but none of them worked. I saw that many people had this issues with different apps, but I haven't found any solution to app which is a system one. Any idea where "Brother Scanner" app is located? Anyone can help with that? Big Sur 11.5 (20G71) on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

• My ADS-1500W desktop scanner ( a fabulous device) stopped working today after a number of Big Sur updates. Must use image capture, Brother Iscan doesn't support it anymore. Scanner is fine as I ran it with Windows machine and it is perfect. I have all my records on the Mac so it is a huge pain to scan to a windows machine and send them to my Mac. I get it that technology improvement can advance the cause, but this is a bummer. Any suggestions on a solution will be welcome. Also brings up Must be an administrator upon launch.

Add a Comment

Replies

This happened to me when I tried to open the scanner from within the system preference pointers and scanner. I think it happens because the printer/scanner driver is old, and does not go well with Big Sur. Brother, apparently, stopped issuing new drivers with OS 10.15.

Go to the Apple applications store, and download the most recent version of "Brother iPrint and Scan". Open the scanner, or initiate a scan, from within this application. when I initiate from within the new brother software, rather than from within apple software, it works.

• "Go to the Apple applications store, and download the most recent version of "Brother iPrint and Scan". Open the scanner, or initiate a scan, from within this application. when I initiate from within the new brother software, rather than from within apple software, it works."

This worked for me, too. Looks like it might be about time to buy a new printer/scanner. Pity, because this one still works fine, except for the lousy support from Brother.

• What the hell are they doing... Drivers should be something they should worry about...

Add a Comment

Following. I have this issue too.

• Mac mini (M1)
  • macOS Big Sur (11.5.1)
  • Brother MFC-8910DW which supports AirPrint.
  • Scanning works on other devices (macOS, iOS)
  • Printing works on all devices.
  • Scanning works in the Brother app (though it isn't as good as Apple's Preview. "Native" scanning would really be nice to have again.
  • Exactly the same situation for me, except I'm with a Brother MFC-9330CDW (even though it sounds like a password, I've remembered it at this point...) Scanning crashes in the Preferences but is the only option available in the Brother App, no printing.

Add a Comment

That's a shame, I didn't think there were companies as big as Brother that would just sell their products without support after it. The product works well. But no proper driver. This is their answer: https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/171587?R3ModelID=MFC9330CDW&_ga=2.74734098.1212927454.1628149942-372246198.1628149942. I wouldn't have thought they would recommend the wobbly solution I use to all users... but they did without even blinking. "Brother: at your side."

Try using VueScan? They support a myriad of Brother scanners.

I’ll be trying the following in a local test environment over the next couple of days:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/408752/the-message-you-do-not-have-permission-to-open-the-application-is-shown-when-t

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64842819/cant-run-app-because-of-permission-in-big-sur

This also happened to me on Big Sur, with the alert You do not have permission to open the application "Brother Scanner".

I was able to solve it as follows:

• Remove the existing printer from System Preferences.
  • Uninstall the existing Brother drivers, using the procedure given here: https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56738/~/uninstall-the-brother-software-and-printer-driver---macintosh-os-x
  • After a reboot, I reinstalled the Brother software for the latest macOS version 10.15 (even though my Big Sur version 11.5.1).
    • There are two parts to this: the "Printer Driver" and the "Scanner Driver (ICA)". I installed both.
  • After another reboot, I added my brother printer anew using the System Preferences (under "Printers & Scanners").
  • I was then able to use my Brother MFC as a scanner within macOS Preview on macOS Big Sur, as I did before under Catalina.

I've never used the Brother iPrint&Scan software and am very happy using macOS preview for my scanning needs (other than duplex scanning in the document feeder where we have to turn over the block of pages -- please improve that for us!)

The above worked when upgrading my Intel Mac Mini to Big Sur. It also worked with my M1 MacBook Air, which was previously upgraded from an older laptop using the macOS Migration Assistant.

• I've tried that sequence, and found it incomplete. On the local Big Sur Mac, I needed another step. Image Capture and other accesses were still rejected with the same "you do not have permission to open the application "Brother Scanner", and with the scanner error -21345 shown. After deleting and reloading per the above—and that Brother file deletion link seems to omit the Brother scanner software files located over in the Scanner directories—I also needed to change the permission on a hunk of the Brother scanner code to world read and write (!?), as was described here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252991431?answerId=255657775022#255657775022

⌘I on that Brother scanner file, unlock, open up everyone read and write, and Image Capture started working.

Add a Comment

Anyone who has a working Twain or WIA (NOT VUESCAN) scanner on a Windows machine can now share it with OSX, Android, iOS, ChromeOS, and Linux over the eSCL protocol.

It is free for personal use.

for more info look for Twain2AirScan at http:///scannershare.om