Xcode 13 beta has issues during build storyboards

Hello everyone!

I has tried build an exists iOS app on Xcode 13 beta 4. The building process finished with issues of building storyboards. Even more, Xcode is crashed when I open this storyboard. The error:

/* com.apple.ibtool.errors */

/path-to-storyboard/main.storyboard: error: Compilation Failed.

Underlying Errors:

Description: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.

Failure Reason: IBAgent-iOS (51126) failed to launch and exited with status 5

Recovery Suggestion: Please check Console.app for crash reports for "IBAgent-iOS" for further information.

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to handshake with platform tool

Failure Reason: Failed to keep platform tool alive

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to keep launch platform tool and keep alive

Recovery Suggestion: Try restarting your computer

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to communicate with helper tool

Failure Reason: The tool closed the connection

I see following issue in console.app:

Application Specific Information:
dyld4 config: DYLD_ROOT_PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH= DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks 
BUG IN LIBDISPATCH: Failed to create fd to simulator memory pressure file

Replies

Are you using third party frameworks ?

With which version of Xcode was the project created ?

Have you looked at the issues Navigator (left pane in Xcode) to see if you have warnings to update to new settings ?

If so, update, then clean build folder and restart Xcode. Try again to build again.

If you still have the problem, create a phony new project, and try to build. What do you get ?

Are you using third party frameworks ?

Yes, we use third-party frameworks in our apps. We couldn't build two applications. In the first case the issue with a storyboard from firebase-ios-sdk . In the second case the issue with a storyboard from QBImagePickerController lib.

With which version of Xcode was the project created ?

Both projects exist for many years. But this projects can be build with Xcode 12.5 without any issues.

Have you looked at the issues Navigator (left pane in Xcode) to see if you have warnings to update to new settings ?

Yes, but a suggestion from this warning doesn't contain anything about storyboard and advice bump the target version.

If so, update, then clean build folder and restart Xcode. Try again to build again.

I cleaned a build folder, but the issue still exists.

If you still have the problem, create a phony new project, and try to build. What do you get ?

I have the same error in a new project, created in Xcode 13. And it looks like a bug of Xcode or my MacBook config.

I have the same error in a new project

Is it a Swift/UIKit project (not SwiftUI) ? Is it a new project without framework, just create and run ? If so, problem likely comes from your config. May try to load XCode13ß5, just available.

It's a new UIKit project, just created for check. I update the Xcode to version 13 beta 5 and have the same issue. I work on MacBook Pro with M1 chip and this problem appeares with/without rosseta 2. Do you have any ideas how fix this bug?

• Could you post some screen shots: - of the Project Navigator panel for the empty project - of the storyboard

Add a Comment

This is the project navigator:

The selected command line tools:

• Could you now show Main and LaunchScreen storyboards ? As well as the info.plist, with the details of Application Scene Manifest ?

Add a Comment

I filed FB9632180 with a few sysdiagnoses from machines that hit this

I am getting this on Xcode 13 release version. Is there anyone else?

• Yes. I get the same in release version

Add a Comment

Same here with Xcode 13 release version on Intel Mac with Big Sur 11.6. I am trying to open the main storyboard of an iOS 12 project with Swift/UIKit. Xcode just stops working.

Same problem; release version Xcode 13.2 (13C90)

Same problem with all Xcode 13 versions, including the latest 13.2.1 Any workarounds or hints?

Looks like this command before the build helps:

sudo killall -9 com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService
Add a Comment