watchOS: Siri Shortcut works within Shortcuts app, but not when activated by voice

My app has a Siri Shortcut that works fine when I execute it from the Shortcuts app on my watch, but if I try to activate it by voice, Siri says: "Sorry, something's wrong. Please try again." and then a second later says "We've had a problem. Please try again."

I'm currently on watchOS 8 beta 6. I last tested this in early July with beta 2 or beta 3 and it was working at that time. I haven't made any changes to the intent extension since then.

The shortcut activates fine by voice on my phone, running iOS 15 beta 6. I'm also able to execute other Shortcuts by voice on my watch.

Has anyone else run into this before? Is there a way to debug the intent extension on the watch, so I can see if any of my intent handler code is even being called?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

I have fixed this issue. Add target membership of intentdefinition file to Watch App and Watch App Extension.

Add a Comment

Replies

Debugging intents on watchOS is the same process as on iOS — you can launch the intent extension with a phrase set through the scheme editor. If that's insufficient, then the next thing to do is to carefully instrument your intent code using Logger so that the log message go to the system console, visible in the Console app. You'll need to install a watchOS diagnostics profile to see these messages in Console.

Tip: Prefix your log messages something unique like an emoji or a sequence of characters so that they are easy to search for in the Console app.

If you find your code isn't being called, please report a bug through Feedback Assistant and post the FB number here.

• Thanks for the tips.

When I select my "SiriIntentsWatchExtension" scheme with "Apple Watch Series 6 via iPhone 12 mini" as the destination I get the following error message when I try to run: "iPhone 12 mini cannot run SiriIntentsWatchExtension. SiriIntentsWatchExtension's architectures (armv7k, arm64_32) include none that iPhone 12 mini can execute (arm64e, arm64v8, arm64, armv8)." It seems like it's trying to execute the extension on the phone instead of the watch.

I'll try setting up some logging to see what I can find.

• It appears my code is not being called and I filed FB9541952. Thanks!

• I just updated the bug to mention that activating the shortcut by voice works fine on watchOS 7, so it seems to be a regression with watchOS 8.

I deleted it because I made a mistake in the place to write the comment.

Just to follow up for others that are experiencing this issue: Activating our shortcut by voice is still not working with watchOS 8.2. Activating our shortcut from the Shortcuts app on watchOS 8 works fine and activating it by voice still works on watchOS 7.

Unfortunately, I haven't received any followup from Apple, either here on the forums or in FB9541952.

I have fixed this issue. Add target membership of intentdefinition file to Watch App and Watch App Extension.

Add a Comment