Xcode 13: Archive Successful... and Missing!

Note to self: don't upgrade Xcode on build day. :-/

On upgrading Xcode I've found that my app (product) archives successfully, but it isn't added to the Organizer window. All of my previous archives (100+) are still there, and the archive exists on my hard drive, but no matter how many times I successfully re-archive the product, it doesn't get added to the Organizer window.

I've closed, reopened, restarted, re-archived, checked the docs, looked through the forums... I'm running out of options other than downgrading to 12.5.1.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have a solution?

• Note to self: don't upgrade Xcode on build day. :-/    That a very good advice. I would add: don't rush to update to last version on your production machines. Use secondary machines to test first.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

OK... I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was, but I found a symptom which seems to have led to the cure.

I realized that the "Archives" stored on my hard disk all had a size of zero bytes. Now... why would Xcode call that archive "successful"? I have no idea. But it made me wonder if doing a clean npm install and pod install might help (I'm building a React Native app)... and that apparently did.

FWIW: after upgrading Xcode, the product ran fine in a simulator. It just didn't archive. Now, it archives, displays, and uploads fine, even though I didn't actually change anything in Xcode. Go figure.

Replies

OK... I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was, but I found a symptom which seems to have led to the cure.

I realized that the "Archives" stored on my hard disk all had a size of zero bytes. Now... why would Xcode call that archive "successful"? I have no idea. But it made me wonder if doing a clean npm install and pod install might help (I'm building a React Native app)... and that apparently did.

FWIW: after upgrading Xcode, the product ran fine in a simulator. It just didn't archive. Now, it archives, displays, and uploads fine, even though I didn't actually change anything in Xcode. Go figure.

Do you have any clue ? I am facing the same issue now .

The most common reason for this is that you’ve set the Skip Install build setting (SKIP_INSTALL) on all your targets.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I see the same thing every time I archive a project, to see my archive I have to archive the project a second time, and then the previous archive will show up.

When you are trying to get your code submitted the Organizer is always one build behind. A refresh button that works would be very helpful.

A refresh button that works would be very helpful.

No, a Refresh button is an admission of defeat (-:

I do not see this problem personally, and I’ve not heard a lot of complaits about it from other developers. Some things you might try:

• Make sure you’re on the latest public macOS and Xcode.

• Does the problem occur for all projects? Or just your main project? If you create a new project from one of Xcode’s templates, do you still see the issue?

• Is the problem tied to your user account? If you create a new, temporary user account on your Mac, does it also have this problem?

If you can isolate what’s causing this issue, you may be able to craft a useful bug report, and perhaps also find a workaround.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"