kLSRErrorDomain Error 301

I’m getting a flood of these errors in a shipping speech recognition app since users started upgrading to iOS15. It’s usually being returned by the speech recogniser a few seconds after recognition begins.

I can’t find any reference to it anywhere in Apple’s documentation. What is it?

• Code: 301
  • Domain: kLSRErrorDomain
  • Description: Recognition request was canceled

Accepted Reply

Ok, after some investigation it looks like kLSRErrorDomain/301 is new in iOS15 and is reported when you cancel a speech recognition request, but only on newer devices (specifically, devices with a CoreML-compatible neural engine — A12 Bionic and newer).

So it looks like iOS15 changes the way speech recognition is handled by the neural engine, resulting in a new error code. Cancelling tasks previously seemed to result in a kAFAssistantErrorDomain/216. 216 is still present in iOS15 though, not sure on the details.

• Hey, any useful tips on researching error codes for the kLSRErrorDomain error domain. Seems like there no one single reference to this error domain anywhere around the web. Checked Apple documentation, googled it. The only match I'm able to find is this forum thread. How did you find that this is new in iOS 15, any references anywhere. Also how did you connect this with CoreML compatibility? Thank you for the response!

• I’m afraid not, no. The only reason I’m able to make any sense whatsoever of these errors is that I currently have access to a codebase with thousands of users and good device analytics, which I can mess around with to produce charts of errors against device age and OS etc. That’s how I figured out the differences that newer devices are showing.

Add a Comment

Replies

Ok, after some investigation it looks like kLSRErrorDomain/301 is new in iOS15 and is reported when you cancel a speech recognition request, but only on newer devices (specifically, devices with a CoreML-compatible neural engine — A12 Bionic and newer).

So it looks like iOS15 changes the way speech recognition is handled by the neural engine, resulting in a new error code. Cancelling tasks previously seemed to result in a kAFAssistantErrorDomain/216. 216 is still present in iOS15 though, not sure on the details.

• Hey, any useful tips on researching error codes for the kLSRErrorDomain error domain. Seems like there no one single reference to this error domain anywhere around the web. Checked Apple documentation, googled it. The only match I'm able to find is this forum thread. How did you find that this is new in iOS 15, any references anywhere. Also how did you connect this with CoreML compatibility? Thank you for the response!

• I’m afraid not, no. The only reason I’m able to make any sense whatsoever of these errors is that I currently have access to a codebase with thousands of users and good device analytics, which I can mess around with to produce charts of errors against device age and OS etc. That’s how I figured out the differences that newer devices are showing.

Add a Comment