Multiple Xcode versions on My Mac

Hi guys. I'm currently in the need of installing a lower Xcode version on my Mac. I've been doing some research and I know this is possible but I've still got some doubts about both the process and the possible outcomes. Currently I have Xcode 13 from the App Store and I need to install Xcode 12.5. I'm also currently on an M1 Mac with macOS Big Sur v11.6 My first doubt is, would installing a lower version of Xcode take up just as much space on my hard dive as the current version I already have installed? And if so, can I install the lower version on an external hard drive? Second, can having multiple Xcode versions installed cause unexpected behavior? How can I make this process in a safe and optimized way? Any guidance that you could provide me would be well appreciated

Accepted Reply

would installing a lower version of Xcode take up just as much space on my hard dive as the current version I already have installed?

YES.

can I install the lower version on an external hard drive?

NO. Xcode needs to be installed on a start up disk. I haven't tried with Apple Silicon Macs, but I do not expect this restriction would have changed.

can having multiple Xcode versions installed cause unexpected behavior? 

I have installed Xcode 13 as Xcode.app from Mac App Store and Xcode 12.5.1 as Xcode12.5.1.app from More Downloads page. Using both of them for 3 weeks or more, I have not met any severe things yet.

How can I make this process in a safe and optimized way? 

Just download the other version of Xcode from More Downloads page, expand it there, rename Xcode.app to an appropriate name (before opening it!) and then move it to Applications folder. That's all. Just try.

Replies

Yes it is possible. Just don't forget to name it with a different name, such as Xcode 12.5

It is better to have Xcode on the main drive.

would installing a lower version of Xcode take up just as much space on my hard dive as the current version I already have installed?

YES.

can I install the lower version on an external hard drive?

NO. Xcode needs to be installed on a start up disk. I haven't tried with Apple Silicon Macs, but I do not expect this restriction would have changed.

can having multiple Xcode versions installed cause unexpected behavior? 

I have installed Xcode 13 as Xcode.app from Mac App Store and Xcode 12.5.1 as Xcode12.5.1.app from More Downloads page. Using both of them for 3 weeks or more, I have not met any severe things yet.

How can I make this process in a safe and optimized way? 

Just download the other version of Xcode from More Downloads page, expand it there, rename Xcode.app to an appropriate name (before opening it!) and then move it to Applications folder. That's all. Just try.