Regarding App Tracking Transparency popup and GDPR consent Promt

Hi Team, One of our client app got rejected, stating that "We noticed your app includes a GDPR prompt and an App Tracking Transparency permission request, but they are implemented in a way that might confuse the user."

Attached is the screenshot of the mail we got from apple.

But according to the user privacy and data use article , on this link https://developer.apple.com/app-store/user-privacy-and-data-use/#permission-to-track Attached is the screenshot , it's mentioned App Tracking Transparency takes precedence on GDPR consent popup.

but in the mail we received that we should not show the App Tracking Transparency popup if in GDPR Consent form we have rejected the permission.

Please make it clear what action items need to be done. since statement in email we received and in article mentioned above. it's conflicting.

Please tell clear action items for this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of saurabhk677 Down vote post of saurabhk677
2.3k views

Replies

My question requires an interpretation of the language in 5.1.1 (iv) because I will be using the Google UMP to collect UE GDPR for my ads that are served from AdMob. Non-UE users will still default to Apple's ATT.

Effective in January 2024, if GDPR consent is not fully granted, or if it is not specifically configured using "Manage Options" in such a way as to allow AdMob to serve ads, no ads will be delivered from AdMob. The user-interface from the Google framework is so complicated and convoluted that it will be virtually impossible for a user to define the correct "configuration" - even if they want to. That being the case, any selection other than "Consent" will effectively disable ads from AdMob; thus preventing developers (who rely on AdMob) from generating ad revenue when GDPR applies.

My question is whether it is acceptable under 5.1.1 (iv) for me to restrict access to my app unless the user provides the necessary consent to meet AdMob's requirements? Would restricting the app to a "limited evaluation" be considered "forcing the user to consent to unnecessary data access"?

Google has indicated that I have the right to restrict my app in the Play Store, but I need a "judge's ruling" for the App Store.

Thank you!