Can't enable WebGPU in Safari Technology Preview 133

Hi,

Running macOS 11.6 and Safari Technology Preview 133, I've enabled the developer menu but cannot see a "WebGPU" option to enable. Running on M1 MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of RantyDave Down vote post of RantyDave
3.5k views
  • Problem exists in macOS 12.0.1

• Problem exists in macOS 12.1 and STP 137

Add a Comment

Replies

Same question in macos 12, safari preview 133

Same Question in MacOS 12.0.1, Safari Technology Preview 135

Same problem Safari Technology Preview 141, macOS 12.2.1 M1 MacBook Air

WebGPU support has been turned off sometime around Safari Tech Preview 100. My team is also waiting to see when WebGPU will be brought back to WebKit. https://webkit.org/blog/9528/webgpu-and-wsl-in-safari/

What happened here? This seems totally and utterly irrational. Is Apple trying to kill this technology?

It already was behind a feature flag in Safari TP, which means no normal user would've been able to use it. But to remove it completely, even as an experimental feature?

Seems rather suspect to me. Maybe Apple just doesn't want this technology to succeed after all.

It's the last missing piece to seal the deal of native vs. Web apps; in favor of the Web. Maybe they just don't want this to happen.

Google with Chrome and Mozilla with Firefox seem to be able to get it working. It can't be that hard.

But Apple can't?

WebGPU by Apple was based on Metal and the current spec is vastly different so they have to disable it. They actively working on new version as you can see in bugzilla but it will take some time...