MacBook Pro M1 2020 update to Monterey, USB-C PD not working anymore

Does anybody saw the issue about not working PD (Power Delivery) via USB-C cable when updating MacBook Pro M1 2020 to Monterey?

My MBP is connected only with USB-C to my external monitor (HP S340c) and now, after updating to Monterey, no charging via that connection. Mouse and keyboard is transmitted through the USB-C connection and sometimes, also the video-connection from MBP to the monitor is established. No change beside the update from Big Sur to Monterey done and still losing feature of Power Delivery via USB-C and video-connection sometimes. p.s. with Big Sur, short before updating to Monterey, everything was working as expected.

What is visible / hearable now?

Precondition:

1. Monitor is plugged in with the original powerful power supply.
  2. Mouse and Keyboard is connected to the monitor.
  3. (Original HP monitor cable used .. USB-C 3.1 shown on the sticker of the cable) USB-C cable is connected to the monitor and the other end of the cable is waiting to be connected to an other device.
  4. MacBook Pro (M1 2020) is started and running on battery mode (seen on the battery icon on the menu bar), no other devices connected to the MBP.

Steps done:

1. Plug in the USB-C cable from the monitor to the MBR.
  2. you hear a sound as usual, when connecting a power device to the MacBook Pro
  3. battery icon changes to the power supply icon
  4. within less than one seconds, power supply icon changed back to the battery icon

Result:

1. no charging done via monitor USB-C connection
  2. video link/connection randomly established through USB-C connection
  3. mouse and keyboard working perfectly

Assumption:

1. USB-C Hub function not working/supported anymore as worked with Big Sur

Any hints? Does anybody else saw that issue within his/her devices after updating to Monterey?

Thanks already in advance.

• Recently I found out, that with a very short USB-C cable (30cm) the PD and video-connection is woken up! oh man .. what's the issue behind .. that's so strange now. I can not use the 30 cm cable all the time :-(

The original cable approx 1,80 cm is not broken, because on another PC (Windows) everything is working fine.

I guess there is a configuration issue with the tolerance of signals, detecting connections. With a long cable, respectively higher resistor value by the cable, MBP M1 running on Monterey is downgrading the connection protocol from e.g. USB4.0 or USB3.1 to something less.

Please, dear Apple developer or Apple tester, with this hints, try to reproduce the issue .. obviously, several other users are facing similar issues with the USB connection.

Dear community, is there anybody else who can confirm my theory or reproduce the issue by themself or solve his issue by my reported work around (shorter USB-C cable)?

Thanks again already in advance.

• Lets use the "Like"-Button to see faster if the short cable work around is working on your side as well.

• +1, everything works fine until upgrade to mac os monterey... I use UGreen hub with PD even if I rollback my OS version into big sur, the issue is still not fixed But again, everything works fine before ungrade....

Accepted Reply

Yes I have the same problem with MBA M1 OS Monterey. The USB hub didn't work, only the power hub worked. There are several users also have the same issue, here https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/683409

I am not sure if we will have any update from apple. Some users said that it worked after switching to other USB hub brand. I think it happened to several types of hub.

Replies

Yes I have the same problem with MBA M1 OS Monterey. The USB hub didn't work, only the power hub worked. There are several users also have the same issue, here https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/683409

I am not sure if we will have any update from apple. Some users said that it worked after switching to other USB hub brand. I think it happened to several types of hub.

Does anybody know, which cables are supported?

I mean, which standard should be at least supported by the cable (e.g. USB4.0 or is USB3.1 already enough)? Within M1, Monterey or the MacBook Pro's at all, what is the recommended length of the cable to support Power Delivery (PD) and Video-Transmission?

Technical Details on Apple-Page (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP824) shows only the connection possibility, but not the compatibility:

Charging and Expansion 

• Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports with support for:
  • Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)
  • Headphone

In my case, the original cable from the monitor supplier (HP) is approx. 1,80cm and it's sticker says USB3.1 ..

• on my MacBook Pro M1 2020 with Big Sur on it, everything running fine
  • on my MacBook Pro M1 2020 with Monterey on it, only mouse and keyboard functioning

Using the 30cm cable (delivered within Apple's Blackmagic eGPU .. Sticked with TB3 - Thunderbolt 3, unfortunately no further details of supported protocols) ..

• on my MacBook Pro M1 2020 with Monterey on it, everything running fine

Now I have ordered an Thunderbolt 3, USB4.0, length: 1,20cm cable and will try out, when arrived.

• Short update .. new cable delivered: Thunderbolt 3, USB4.0, length: 1,20cm

Result: My connection with HP Monitor S340c is working as expected. PD working, Video-Connection working, Mouse and Keyboard working.

Add a Comment

Same issue here: USB-C hub doesn't work anymore... Apple: please, solve this problem.

Si, mismo problema. Esperando pronta reparación por parte de apple.

I think I've found a solution for now with my MBP M1 2020. After the Monterey upgrade, my 7 in 1 USB-C Hub by WKD stopped all USB connectivity (mouse, keyboard and external storage etc)

However I had a small USB-C to HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type C adapter with USB 3.0 and charging port I was using on my iPad Pro. I plugged this into one of the USB-C ports on my MBP, used a USB C to USB male adapter for (Acessorz _ on Amazon UK) to connect my 7 in 1 USB-C Hub into and all the USB ports are back working again.

PS. The charging port is also working too.

I'll try and give the descriptions below of what I'm using.

7 in 1 USB Hub 7 in 1 Premium USB-C Hub by WKD Online - Aluminium Space Grey adapter with 4K HDMI and USB-C 3.1 Port - 1 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 OTG SD Micro Card Reader - Apple MacBook Pro Samsung Dell Compatible

USB C to USB male adapter USB C to USB Male Adapter, Acessorz [2-Pack] Mini Hi-speed USB Female (Type-C) to USB 2.0 Male (Type-A) Fast Charging & Data Sync OTG Adapter Connector Converter - Pack of 2 (Black)

my small USB C To HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type used for my iPad Pro ElecMoga USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type C Adaptor with USB 3.0 + USB C Charging Port Digital Converter USB C Hub Compatible With Macbook Pro, Google Chromebook, HP, Samsung S8/S9, And More

I Hope this helps someone out, I've been at this for hours and been totally stuck.

Like everyone else. M1 MacBook Air with a HP HP S340c. No PD or video. Mouse and keyboard works. All wokad just fine on Big Sur.

Hej Richard .. have you tried another / shorter USB-C cable? On my side, with the original HP USB-C Cable, no PD working but using another / shorter USB-C Cable (USB 4.0, Thunderbolt3, 1.20cm length) PD and Video is working.

• Hey there. Just tried the shortest cable I found at the office. A ca 1m USB-C 3.1 cable from Samsung. No difference though. But found another solution. If I plug in another charger in my Macbook then my monitor turns on with video=) So, I guess just the PD Is not working as intended in Monterey. Tried my other Macbook Air M1 with Big Sur and everything works with my old cable.

Add a Comment

I can confirm that I just started experiencing this issue today, after a few weeks of it working fine. I didn't do any updates or anything, only restarted the computer.

• Computer: M1 Max MBP 16"
  • Hub: OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  • Connected Devices:
    • 2 External Displays (are connected and work fine)
    • 3x USB 3.0 External Hard Drives (do not connect through the hub, but do when connected directly via dongle)
    • Hub is powering MBP through the single Thunderbolt 3 connection, per the usual

same thing on 12.4. i've experienced this consistently through every version of monterey. awful. at a loss for what to do.

Same issue. I am on Big Sur and was just about to upgrade to Monterey but seeing that 'still... she persists' I'm not going to bother. OWC Hub that has suddenly stopped.