designing this gadget for iOS Lightning

Hey there,

I'm freelancer on electronic circuits designer, and on my current project I want to design a hub that connects to iPhone and works as: 1. lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack, 2. a button to send a simple data as HID to iPhone and 3. has a lightning female port that enables to connection to charger to charge iPhone.

The company needs just a few of this device (actually 50) just for they're and they're few VIP costumers use.

I'm designing this gadget for iOS and Android devices. I don't have problem with USB and USB-c, but I there is some ambiguity. I searched web and Also Apple MFi program FAQ, I have some questions:

1. What kind of hardware-based considerations I should have in comparison to USB-c?
  2. What is standards and protocols of data transfer of lightning port? Is it similar to USB interface?
  3. Is USB hub controller ICs work on lightning as well as USB-c?
  4. What is accessory identification chip? What is it's datasheet? Were and how to buy it?
  5. For this amount of production (something about 50), is there necessary to get MFi certificate?
  6. Is there a datasheet of accessory identification chip for me to complete the design and then enrolling to MFi program?

Thanks, Hamidreza Hassanvand

Replies

My understanding is:

• the technical information is made available once you join the MFI program...
  • ...at which point it is all under a non-disclosure agreement.

I think you will find it difficult to get specific information, outside the MFI program.

• but I'm a freelancer, I don't want this legal process before that the design is complete.

Also I'm at first steps of design, I need to have at minimum information to design the part then start design process. I do not even know if I can design this gadget according to Apple's strict regulations! I don't even know what ICs should I use in my prototype! consider that i have non of this problems with USB-c version.

• Yes, I understand your problem, but I think Apple's rules on this are clear. The MFI information is made available once you join the MFI program.

Add a Comment