prompt keeps popping up asking me to install the command line developer tools

After installing xcode13.3, a prompt keeps popping up asking me to install the command line developer tools, but I have already installed it, and this prompt keeps popping up, what should I do?

// xcode-select --install ? i enter this xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates // got this

but this system always tell me: python: error: Failed to locate 'python'. xcode-select: Failed to locate 'python', requesting installation of command line developer tools.

The python command was traditionally an alias for Python 2.x, which is no longer available. If you want to use the built-in Python 3, invoke it with python3. However, in most cases it’s best to install your own Python because Apple’s built-in copies have been deprecated. You can learn more about this in the Scripting Language Runtimes section of the macOS Catalina 10.15 Release Notes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I am running into the same problem and cannot find a solution. This is what I see (note the developer command line tools are installed)

$ python
xcode-select: Failed to locate 'python', requesting installation of command line developer tools.
$ python3
Python 3.8.9 (default, Jul 19 2021, 09:37:32)
[Clang 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.27.3)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
$ ln -s /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/python
$ which python
/usr/local/bin/python
$ python
xcode-select: Failed to locate 'python', requesting installation of command line developer tools.
$ /usr/local/bin/python
$ /usr/bin/env python

If I put another python on my PATH (outside of /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin) it seems to work fine. Eg,

$ ln -s /usr/bin/python3 /some/other/path/python
$ export PATH=/some/other/path:$PATH
$ which python
/some/other/path/python
$ python
Python 3.8.9 (default, Jul 19 2021, 09:37:32)
[Clang 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.27.3)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

However, this is not a tenable solution and I have hundreds of scripts that rely on #!/usr/bin/env python. Is there a way to get xcode-select to stop prompting me to install command line tools for python?

I'm getting the same repeated prompt while trying to set up playwright in VSCode.

npm ERR! 2 warnings generated. npm ERR! xcode-select: Failed to locate 'python', requesting installation of command line developer tools. npm ERR! make: *** [Release/sass.a] Error 72 npm ERR! *** ERR! build error npm ERR! *** ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2 npm ERR! *** ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/Users/!/repos/Sia-dashboard/node_modules/node-***/lib/build.

clicking install on modal begins download and installation but process isn't completed, as when returning to VSCode to continue playwright setup, I get the same error messages again

Python is installed (Python 3.10.5), I have previously installed Xcode command line developer tools, so I'm not sure why I'm stuck in this loop.

Doing the following command

xcode-select -p

results in

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Then I took a look at /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/ didn't have any python binary. However there was a python3 binary. So I created a symlink and this solved my problem. Following is the command I ran

sudo ln -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/python3 /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/python

This created the required python binary for xcode and solved the issue.

So general solution would be to find out where xcode-select is looking for python binary and then create a symlink in that location

same issue

I've spent four days on this already. Reinstalled my system tried all of the mentioned above suggestions and a bunch more from stack overflow and it's still not working properly.

I'm on macOS 12.5 and Xcode 13.4.1. I'm building an app using NativeScript and I can't release the app because every time I go to product > archive Xcode says Python command requires the command line tools. When I agree to install it will look like it installed but then start over.

Xcode-select -p results in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

I tried:

sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/python3 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/python

and

sudo ln -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/python3 /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/python

None helped. I also tried

sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/python3.8 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/python

as I noticed there's python3.8 in Xcode's folder but that didn't work either. I'm a bit confused why Xcode is looking for Xcode in it's own folder now and doesn't use python3 that comes with macOS.

In addition to all of the above I also tried installing global version of Python using pyenvand followed the instructions listed on NativeScript docs https://docs.nativescript.org/environment-setup.html#macos-ios

Please help

The solution for me was to uninstall python I previously installed using pyenvand just do it via homebrew with brew install python - it installs v3.9.13. And the final step is to run

sudo ln -s $(which python3) /usr/local/bin/python

How do I uninstall python?

i couldn't find the original post - thanks that person- manually install from that link solved my problem https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=command%20line%20tools

This fixed it for me xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch

Only this helps me. Thanks for sharing.

This is the only thing that worked for me as well thank you :)

xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch - did work for me, thank yuo!

Wow Apple, ***... get your shit together.

~> xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch
Install Started
1%.........20.........40.........60.........80........Install Succeeded

Worked For me!

this cmd >> xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch worked

Check your /usr/bin folder for your python Installation. If you are using "python3" then you use the "pip3" command for managing packages & installations.

prompt keeps popping up asking me to install the command line developer tools

Q