OffscreenCanvas in Safari Technology Preview

According to the release notes of STP, OffscreenCanvas has been implemented for a while. However, when I run JavaScript code, it fails because OffscreenCanvas is not a recognized command. I feel I’m missing something obvious here. Any help?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of TVose Down vote post of TVose
3.1k views
  • I have the same question, and luck in figuring out what is going on?

Add a Comment

Replies

I see it’s in multiple places in the Safari technology preview release notes, but yes, I cannot access Offscreen Canvas from the window. Does anyone know how to access it, if it’s even possible?

I too am quite interested in testing this feature out. Is it possible to enable via the "Experimental Features" under the develop tab in safari?

I’m getting the feeling that OffscreenCanvas is incomplete and has never been exposed. Maybe the release notes serve only to tell us about the implementation progress.

It’s time for apple to catch up and make offScreenCanvas, in both 2d and 3d contexts, available to users and developers as a standard feature of Safari on all their OS’s

To make rendering offscreen in a worker available be default, could help Enable various types of graphics/number crunching intensive web applications to be run in the Safari browser, and would be a great reason to buy apple devices.

The main complaint and reason many fellow students don’t buy an ipad, and choose to stick with windows or android laptops, is that the IPAD is too locked down and the browser feels like you are stuck in the late 2000s. There are many web apps they want to take advantage of; yet, with Apple devices they just can’t, and thus they buy a surface or an android.

Software lockdowns to promote purchase of newer hardware is also a reason they choose other devices, as you can do sidecar on all android devices with both windows and Mac, for free.

I just create an application that uses OffscreenCanvas and could see that Safari on macOS and iOS is not working as expected. It is sad that in 2023 we can't do simple things with Apple's ecosystem.

Add a Comment