Can you install macOS Ventura on an separate volume? (Apple Silicon)

Hey guys

I want to get a macOS 13 test environment going but I ran into a big of a snag…

the way I usually go about this is I install the beta on a separate volume (an external drive in this case). I achieve this by enrolling my main machine, downloading the beta installer via system update and then pointing it to the external drive.

Unfortunately I was in for a nasty surprise when I tried doing this and my Mac Studio got updated straight away instead (ended up having to restore it with Configurator)

Apple has a guide on how to create a separate volume and install macOS 12 on it so you can keep a stable OS on the side but I find that counter-intuitive… why can’t I just do a fresh install of Ventura on that second volume instead?

I suppose I could install Monterey on the external drive and then upgrade that installation to Ventura but I’d rather skip the extra step if I can - anybody Know if there’s a way to?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Haiku Oezu Down vote post of Haiku Oezu
3.7k views
  • Exactly the same problem .. an overnight install ended up on my production APFS volume. I assumed that the installer, not having any input from me, defaulted to do that. However, I repeated the process watching it all the way and it happened again without any request for volume choice. This is a serious time waster .. I suppose I'm going to have to create an installer on an external disk which I can do but why are we having this issue and the other million developers are not?

Add a Comment

Replies

Yeah, I just got bitten by the same issue! I set the installer to download overnight (fairly slow internet here) and woke up to see my MBP had been upgraded automatically! Why on earth has this process changed??

I can't even see how to downgrade back to Monterey.

I've removed the machine from the Beta access programme and checked software update, but it's not offering 12.4. Using the "Download" button on developer.apple.com/download simply opens the App Store on the page for Monterey. When I click the "Get" button, it just takes me straight back into Software Update where it shows "Your Mac is up to date".

I do have a backup (thanks CCC!)...but of course, they're not bootable backups these days, so I booted into Recovery mode, to see that the only option there is to "Reinstall MacOS Ventura". Talk about unlucky number 13!

I don't have any particular issue with Ventura, at least not yet anyway, but I certainly didn't want it to usurp my main laptop.

• No big deal, just download the latest Monterey full installer here

Add a Comment

Noooo! I thought I was on to a winner with Internet Recovery mode. It gave me the option to "Reinstall MacOS Monterey", but when I unlocked my internal Hard Drive and selected it as the installation destination, I got an error message saying:

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.BuildInfo.preflight.error error 22.)

I had this issue with a borked install of the Ventura beta overtop of Monterey while trying to install it on a side partition.

I had to actually use another MacBook pro to restore MacBook air to use again.

Do you have a recovery USB? use that instead of internet recovery. If you do not - use another Mac to revive and then restore the 'afflicted' Mac using Apple Configurator.

Internet recovery will be broken for you at the moment as it was for me so you'll need to use either a bootable USB or another Mac to restore your computer.

I just spent the last 24hrs on this. Hope this helps

You can just download the latest Monterey full installer here

That sounds like what I'm attempting now. I used an old Mac Mini to install Monterey onto my existing data-volume-only backup.

I've now managed to boot my MBP from that. The Monterey installer informed me that I can't downgrade the OS on my internal drive, so I've erased it and am now using CCC to perform a data only backup/restore to the internal drive. When that's finished, I'll (hopefully) use the Monterey installer to install macOS 12 back onto my MBP's internal hard drive.

This has been an enormous waste of almost two days of my time.

One thing that still concerns me is that I'm using Documents and Desktop in iCloud Drive to share files between that laptop and my desktop Mac. When I finally get the machine restored from backup and macOS 12 installed again, will it attempt to upload everything to iCloud again? The backup is about a week older than what's on my desktop computer. It looks like it's trying to do exactly that just now, whilst booted from the external SSD - I turned off WiFi and killed the bird process, which has stopped the attempt for now.

• Yeah once you upgrade and M1 Mac to a new macOS it will update its firmware as well so you can’t just downgrade. You NEED to put it in DFU mode and connect it to another Mac to use Apple Configurator and revive it, then do it again after it reboots to reset it - once you’ve done that you’ll have your Mac back to Monterey

I think you can skip the revive part, this was toy will be running macOS 12 with 13’s firmware which will allow you to dual boot 12 and 13.

Add a Comment

OK, so after two days, I'm finally back up and running. The procedure I described above worked almost perfectly. The only two snags were the attempted upload to iCloud Drive again, and the fact that CCC restored my Documents folder to ~/Documents (essentially a duplicate of what was in iCloud Drive).

I'll wait until the next beta before trying macOS 13 again, and hopefully I'll be given the option of where to install it as per previous years.

• Can you please detail or point to the detail of the full steps to do a macOS ventura installation on a separate partition? And what is CCC?

• Hi. I still haven't got Ventura running on a separate partition. I haven't tried again after wasting so long last time. CCC is Carbon Copy Cloner - backup software which has saved my bacon on multiple occasions.

Add a Comment

ME2