Limit app to devices that are LiDAR compatible

Hello,

When it comes to creating application build I've made an application that requires LiDAR to function and knowing that it is possible to restrict an application to iPhone or iPad only for example does a similar situation exist for functionality?

Thank you!

Replies

Hello,

There is no UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities Key that would restrict your app only to LiDAR devices. The closest you could get is the iphone-ipad-minimum-performance-a12 key, but there are many A12 and later devices that do not have LiDAR Scanners.

Because there is no way for you to restrict your app to only LiDAR devices, my recommendations are as follows:

1. File a feature request using Feedback Assistant to request a way to restrict your app to only LiDAR devices.

2. Utilize the various "supported" apis to check if you have certain features at runtime, for example, if your app utilizes the sceneDepth frame semantic, check for support at runtime using the supportsFrameSemantics method. If you detect that you are running on a device that does not have certain features at runtime, fallback to an alternative.

I agree a new device capability key would be very useful (filed FB10140735). For example, imagine a customer pays for an app to suddenly learn it only works on LiDAR devices.