Notifications Property List Key Only Works For Simulator

I tried to setup custom text for my app's push notifications permission alert by setting the NSUserNotificationsUsageDescription key in the info plist. It works flawlessly when I run the app on simulator, but running the app on a physical device still shows the default text provided by Apple. Is this a bug by Apple or am I doing something wrong? I am trying this with Xcode 13.4.1.

Accepted Reply

For anyone else trying to use this new key: I discovered this key is only available with iOS 15.4 and above so it wasn't a caching issue. NSUserNotificationsUsageDescription was recently introduced in one of the Xcode 13 versions, but Apple currently has no documentation on it.. My team was able to confirm its limited use and we released it to production.

Replies

I have recently found that the message assigned to the NSUserNotificationsUsageDescription key is ignored on some devices and works as desired on others. In my tests it worked correctly on a device running iOS 15.5 but the generic message was shown on a device running iOS 14.8.1. My tests were with Xcode 13.4.

For anyone else trying to use this new key: I discovered this key is only available with iOS 15.4 and above so it wasn't a caching issue. NSUserNotificationsUsageDescription was recently introduced in one of the Xcode 13 versions, but Apple currently has no documentation on it.. My team was able to confirm its limited use and we released it to production.