WebAuthn re-authentication failure in iOS 15.5

We are seeing a difference in WebAuthn behavior between Safari desktop and mobile in iOS 15.5. If a user logs out of our site but keeps the session alive by having Safari remain open, upon logging in they are unable to re-authenticate using WebAuthn in iOS 15.5

The error we're seeing is: "User gesture is not detected. To use the WebAuthn API, call 'navigator.credentials.create' or 'navigator.credentials.get' within user activated events."

Observations:

• This works in Safari desktop.
  • It worked in Safari iOS prior to iOS 15.5
  • Reloading the page in iOS 15.5 allows it to work normally.

Something about the JavaScript environment seems to prevent WebAuthn re-authentication without reloading the page.

Why is the behavior different between desktop, iOS 15.5, and previous versions of iOS? Any insight or suggested work-around would be appreciated. What are we missing?

• Please try again in the latest iOS 16 beta (currently Beta 3). If this is still an issue there, please file it through Feedback Assistant with a screen recording and sysdiagnose, and share you feedback number here, so we can take a look!

• I have submitted feedback (FB10705684) with a sysdiagnose and two videos. One showing the unexpected behavior in iOS 15.5 and the other showing the expected behavior in iOS 16 beta 3.

Additional Observations: It works in iOS 16 beta 3 The problem is still present in iOS 15.6 beta.

We would really like a work-around or some assurance this will be fixed in a future version of iOS 15 since customers are likely to be on this version for some time.

Add a Comment

Replies

I installed iOS 16 beta 3 and was able to verify the problem has been fixed. However, we still need a work around for iOS 15.5 . We replaced element re-rendering with a full page refresh window.location.reload() . Unfortunately, the problem still persists on iOS 15.5 until you do a manual refresh. Any ideas?

Same issue on iOS 15.6 until a user do a manual refresh. I tried also with JS refresh (different ways...) but without success.

Other test with common famous internet framework: