Mac mini M1 Dev/Debug unit?

Hello, have some issues and wondering if someone here can help me out with this.

I bought a max'd out Mac mini M1 (2TB SSD) and it turns out its a Dev/debug unit (not DTK).

During boot the apple logo is huge and displays some text in the left bottom corner. Apple Internal - Version 11.0 (Build 20A2383) and stuff like "Current phase"

First thing I did, I erased the SSD in recovery to install fresh macOS on it, and now I'm stuck. I cannot install any macOS through recovery because it offers only Big Sur and says its not available at this time. Long pressing the power button doesn't display the "Options" menu, it boots right into recovery, so I can't boot from USB and Apple Configurator fails with restore/revive and even trying manually with different macOS IPSWs.

AC2 error is: The System cannot be restored on this device. The System install could not be authorized for this device. The build may not be approved for production installs.

Any ideas what could I do to have it run macOS again?

• That's a prototype. The only thing you did by erasing it is destroy a piece of history. You can't install normal mac os on prototype and now that device is essentially bricked.

Add a Comment

Replies

Any ideas what could I do to have it run macOS again?

I recommend that you escalate this with Apple Support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks for the reply. I don’t really think they could / would help with this, that’s why was hoping someone here could help me out to figure how can I reinstall macOS on this unit.

Cheers

I don’t really think they could / would help with this

I don’t understand why not. It sounds like the unit came misconfigured from the factory.

Hmmm, I guess I presumed that this:

I bought a max'd out Mac mini M1

meant that you bought this from Apple. Is that correct?

Share and Enjoy

Hi, I bought it used of marketplace and it’s clearly a Dev unit, that’s why doesn’t accept any macOS I tried.

I contacted apple but was no help because the serial number cannot be found since it’s not a retail unit

it’s not a retail unit

Oh gosh.

Sadly, there’s nothing more I can do for you here.

Share and Enjoy

I would be interested to help if you’d like to get in touch

• Hi, yes I’m interested if you could help. At the moment is bricked, showing “Mac Sad Face” when switching it on.

Add a Comment

I'm in a very similar situation. I bought a cheap maxed out Mac mini M1 that powers on but just boots to the Apple sad face icon. I it won't even go in to the recovery menu and when I try to restore with Apple Configurator I get the same error "The System cannot be restored on this device. The System install could not be authorized for this device. The build may not be approved for production installs." Mine is a retail unit with model number A2348. It could be that the SSD has died?