Corespotlightd constant CPU drain in macOS Monterey 12.6 (21G115)

Issue

• I am experiencing corespotlightd constant 100% CPU drain in macOS Monterey 12.6 (21G115)
  • Since updating Command Line Tools

Fixes attempted

• Quit corespotlightd resolves the issue only for a couple of minutes
  • Restarting computer
  • Search Results enabled only for Applications and System Preferences
  • Re-indexing spotlight does nothing to solve

Machine information

• System Version: macOS Monterey 12.6 (21G115)
  • Kernel Version: Darwin 21.6.0
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • Processor 1,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of MNDLSN Down vote post of MNDLSN
2.7k views
  • I'm also having this identical issue, having attempted all the fixes above with no success.

Machine Info:

OS Version: Monterey 12.6 (21G115)MacBook Pro 15" 20182.6 GHz 6-core i716 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Add a Comment

Replies

I've also been having the same problem with no resolution. Some places suggest just letting it run and finish its reindexing. I've let it go for two weeks without killing it, and it still goes. Killed it this morning at 600% CPU because I needed to use the laptop w/o being plugged in and this was crushing the battery.

Same here. I've got an open ticket with Apple Support - i've done macOS reinstalls, PRAM and NVRAM resets, closed applications, etc. I've compared application installs with other people having issue (like dropbox, docker, ides, etc), but we can't find a common app that would cause this. I'm getting ready to try a disk utility scan of hard drive in recovery mode (maybe something on the hard drive is corrupt or inaccessible). And of course they suggest upgrading to latest macOS (ventura) - perhaps that would fix something, but since Support doesn't have any info on corespotlightd issues (and I can only find reference to it in forums and reddits), I'm not too hopeful the new OS will address it.

Currently, I just keep activity monitor open. When the fan starts to kick up, corespotlightd is usually at the top of cpu usage so a force quit will fix it for an indeterminant amount of time.

here's a reddit thread where we've been brainstorming for solutions: https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/xjh4t6/corespotlightd_cpu_usage_super_high/

Add a Comment

Apple, please take this problem seriously, since users undergo heavy disturbance in using their devices, this makes users think to try another product in the future even, please take a look into it. Tnx. If I kill the process , this works, but not as expected, since the process comes back then increases cpu over time. Then again the same problem is back. The thing about this process is that I am not able to find out what it is doing, maybe when I know what it is doing I can accept the load.

Also having this issue. I'm not doing ANYTHING else on the computer and have all programs shut down, and have quit out of all background programs like dropbox, backblaze, etc

It occurs FREQUENTLY (Almost every time I do this):

1. I open spotlight search and type in a math problem. eg: 524365
  2. When I type that math problem, the fan starts cranking within a minute
  3. I open activity monitor and see that corespotlightd shows up as using 300%-800% CPU.
  4. This happens repeatedly and I no longer use spotlight because of it.

THIS IS A SEVERE ISSUE that should be getting your immediate attention as it essentially renders my computer unusable.

• Model Name: MacBook Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
  • Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
  • Number of Processors: 1
  • Total Number of Cores: 4
  • L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
  • L3 Cache: 8 MB
  • Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • System Firmware Version: 451.140.1.0.0

Same problem on a Monterey 12.6.7 MacBook Pro mi-2015.

Not a good bug !

same here, out of nothing this 100% cpu, mostly after searching something in the spotlight search panel. It sticks there until killed by the user, because by itself nothing happens, just 100% cpu and a hot computer and battery drain. Please fix this!

This is an issue for me as well. Corespotlightd runs CPU @ 100% indefinitely unless I force quit.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB System Firmware Version: 486.0.0.0.0 OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~37 SMC Version (system): 2.30f2 System Version: macOS 12.7.1 (21G920) Kernel Version: Darwin 21.6.0