TestFlight Automatic Download doesn't work

When I make a new build of my iOS app available either for internal or external testers, TestFlight doesn't automatically update the app. It simply shows the "Update" button under the app.

I'm testing this on several iPhones (iOS 15+) with automatic downloads toggled on both in TestFlight settings, and in the app's TestFlight settings.

Has anyone dealt with this issue / am I missing something?

Not being able to push automatic downloads to beta testers is a significant issue, as most people (myself included) aren't proactive about updating their apps. On top of that, TestFlight doesn't even send a push notification that a new version is available, so there's no way for the user to know unless they open TestFlight, which they have no reason to after the first download.

Accepted Reply

Answering my own question -- the device has to be charging for the automatic update to trigger.

Replies

Answering my own question -- the device has to be charging for the automatic update to trigger.

I'm having the same issue even while charging. Testflight shows there is an available update, but I have to manually run the update. I've seen a lot of posts about this over quite some time but yet to see any solutions.