opendiff / FileMerge not showing identical files in light gray

On macOS 12.6 Monterey with Xcode 14.0.1 and FileMerge 2.11 (21012). I am not seeing identical files grayed out. The font color (black) is the same shade as those files that are different.

Wondering if there is some setting with my account or with my macOS customizations since receiving this new M1 Max MacBook Pro in July 2022. I don't recall it ever working on this MacBook. I have compared my FileMerge preferences as well as my user account customizations with that of older MacBook running macOS 11.x Big Sur. Works just fine on Intel MBP on previous macOS and with older versions of Xcode.

Replies

I see that the FileMerge application is part of Xcode, so I will delete, forget, and reinstall Xcode. Using pkgutil with --file-info option, FileMerge found in com.apple.pkg.Xcode. With pkgutil and --forget option, package is forgotten. Reinstalled Xcode via AppStore app, but quit and restarted AppStore app to update its list of known installed applications, resulting in Get button being shown again. Alternatively, could have reinstalled from https://developer.apple.com/downloads

Reinstalling Xcode did not help. The FileMerge tool still fails to use a different font color of light gray for identical files and folders.

I tried a few more settings to see if I could correct this behavior. Attempting to run opendiiff directly, I found that my xcode select was set for Xcode-beta, which I uninstalled. With sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/ I was then directed to install Xcode command line tools.

Updating xcode-select and installing latest command line tools for Xcode 14.1 did not help either.

Yippee!!! It is working again for me! I am not sure what change did the trick, but FileMerge/opendiff is now showing identical files as grayed out text. I no longer need to click the Exclude: Identical check box.

My recent changes include installation of Xcode 15.0, Command Line Tools for Xcode 15, and minor updates to macOS 13.5.2 Ventura.

Add a Comment