Will the monochrome(black and white) images instead of color images work in ARkit ImageDetection?

We have color images as reference images and they do work great, but the problem we are facing is as following, what we have is a coloring book for children, a sample image from the book is like below

1.This is what a physical Reference Image will look like

Now coming to our use case, as i mentioned this is a coloringbook for children, so I tried to create a worst case(use as many colors as possible and color as much of the white space as possible) scenario image which looks like this

1. Worst case physical image can be

Now the issue is with the point 2, the arkit is not able to the image at all, I assume because I have used enough colors that now arkit looks at it as different image compared to the given referenceImage.

Is there any way I can detect the worst case of the image also, may be by using monochrome(black and white) images? please suggest

• Nice concept btw

Add a Comment

Replies

You could try specifying just the unchanged part as the reference image (in your example, the upper third or quarter of the entire page) and see if it's enough to be detected.

I wonder what happens if you leave the area where the car is blank. As in load a .png as a reference image where the car is completely transparent. Maybe ARKit is smart enough to interpret that as "ignore this area of marker"?

Yup! Solved! Totally works! Kid could paint the car entirely black and it still recognizes the scene.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0d1z7xqmQIR2EaqLLL8Or9ZDg#MalenNachZahlen

Please exlpain what did you exactly do and mean? We are not currently not using reality composer and do not intend to switch to it, we intend to do thing by code only.

Apologies seeing this just now.

I did explain exactly what I did. Instead of your reference image I loaded a .png with the area where the car is being transparent. Doesn't get any clearer than that. If you still do not understand what that means see below.

It does not matter if you are using Reality Composer or Xcode. Either way you can set a reference image as an anchor. Just use an image like I described. However, you're really missing out on a lot of great features of ARKit if you are not using Reality Composer. It's not about switching, it works together seamlessly with Xcode. Give it a try!