MacOS Ventura - WindowServer quit unexpectedly

I have a MacStudio. I upgraded to Ventura. When I click a Microsoft Office app in my dock, my screens go blank and I get taken back to the login screen. Then when I log back in I see an error message that says, "WindowServer quit unexpectedly."

Process: WindowServer [36199] Path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer Identifier: WindowServer Version: ???

Anyone have any suggestions / fixes?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of drrms Down vote post of drrms
18k views
  • Same error after upgrading to Ventura. Any update on this? Thanks in advance

• Same thing here after upgrade, IMAC and Macbook Pro....

• Same issue with different apps at least once a day after installing Ventura.. It's annoing Apple M1. mac book air.

Replies

I have exactly the same problem. It has become unmanageable to work on my macbook.

4th time it's happened to me now.

• Can't remember how many times 😅 I was thinking it might be I got some water on my keyboard the other day, but it was just a little, and it's on the right, the fan is below it, not the mother board.

Add a Comment

crashed 3 times this morning when switching between desktops. Mac book pro 16" 2019 i7

Same issue here since updating a MB Pro M1 2021. When opening a window it crashes and goes back to lock screen.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

Same here on MacBook Pro 16", 2021 with Apple M1 Max

Same here. Happen always when switching between the Zoom application and other apps. It's happening several times a day. Any solution from @Apple?

Same here on my MacBook Pro M1 after upgrading to Ventura.

Same here on Mac Studio - it seems crashes are somehow related with fullscreen work but it might be unrelated as there is no direct time based correlation.

I have the same problem after upgrading to Ventura. There may be several times within an hour. I noticed that when it crashes, I always have an external monitor connected. This was not the case before. Never had any problems without a monitor.

• Me too, I always connected to a 4K monitor, I thought it might be the case that the stage manager is not well turned, so I switched it off for a few days, but still...

Add a Comment

same here.. frustrating. MacbookPro 2020 M1

I think its often when i change Desktop / Fullsize Windows ( cmd+tab ) . But not sure ...

I've had this issue since upgrading to Ventura. Anecdotal perhaps:

1. The crash only happens when the laptop is connected to my LG 4k monitor
  2. The crash frequency is way higher when using Visual Studio, or perhaps it's because I switch desktops when using Visual Studio in a maximized way.
  3. Ventura 13.0.1 didn't help. 3 crashes already after the patch

I had this problem and found a post that resolved the issue for me. Reset any Colour ICC profiles to default ones. As soon as you use a custom/calibrated ICC profile it causes Windowserver to crash and then effect connected displays.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/yq0mwd/ventura_131_beta_2_completely_breaks_external/

system settings > desktop and dock > rearrange spaces automatically -> off system settings > desktop and dock > screens with separated spaces -> off

this seems to be the solution until apple fixes it with some macOS Ventura update.

• We'll see!

Add a Comment

system settings > desktop and dock > rearrange spaces automatically -> off

system settings > desktop and dock > screens with separated spaces -> off

this seems to be the solution until apple fixes it with some macOS Ventura update.