MacOS Ventura - WindowServer quit unexpectedly

I have a MacStudio. I upgraded to Ventura. When I click a Microsoft Office app in my dock, my screens go blank and I get taken back to the login screen. Then when I log back in I see an error message that says, "WindowServer quit unexpectedly."

Process: WindowServer [36199] Path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer Identifier: WindowServer Version: ???

Anyone have any suggestions / fixes?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of drrms Down vote post of drrms
18k views
  • Same error after upgrading to Ventura. Any update on this? Thanks in advance

• Same thing here after upgrade, IMAC and Macbook Pro....

• Same issue with different apps at least once a day after installing Ventura.. It's annoing Apple M1. mac book air.

Replies

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

Experience the same after update to Venture 13.0 Crashes randomly 2-3 times during working day. Cant identify any specific sequence of actions. Various apps were active at the moment of crash.

Sometimes interval between crashes is very short, ~6-7 minutes.

Crashed process: windowServer.

P.S. not using the Stage Manager. Use an external screen via dongle.

Same for Intel ,WindowServer quit unexpectedly for every 1-2 hours

Same problem here with an M1 iMac

This upgrade makes me wary of any future system upgrades. I had a very stable system until after this upgrade. I have 3 monitors connected to the MacBook Pro and the MacBook itself is closed (no monitor).

Same here, after upgrading to Ventura, I'm using Macbook Pro Intel i9, Crash randomly. Is very annoying.

Hello

I have been through this issue so i have disconnected monitor from MAC and everything works fine.

Try that and let me know if it works for you all.

Experiencing the same issue on MacBook Pro 2020 with stage manager on.

Hi there,

Same issue

Hi there,

Same here. I'm using Macbook Pro 1 GHz 4-Core Intel Core i5 with new update Ventura 13.0. Crash every day in the middle of working without any patterns. Any solution for it, need help!

Hi there,

I got same problem, iMac 2022, using Visual Studio Code, running into same issues with unexpected logouts from my account, got to relogin again and then receiving the message that Windows shut unexpectedly... What's on with that?