Can we still use Objective C to create iOS App ?

Hello,

We want to create iOS App from scratch in Objective C. But we are confused that at the time of binary upload , is binary accepted by the application loader as project is created in Objective C?

and answer is yes, then any specific steps/standards that we need to follow.

Thanks.

Replies

Yes, you can still create and submit apps written in ObjC.

For how much longer this will be true is unknown. My guess is that updates to existing apps will continue to be accepted for a good long time. It's possible that new apps may be refused sooner.

Of more concern, some new iOS features may have Swift-only APIs. And of course there may be ObjC-only bugs that don't get fixed.

Why do you want to do this?

• actually, have a 9 years of Objective C developer and he can create an App in Objective c in just 4-5 days, but we are concerned about Apple standards. By the time we will gradually convert App in Swift. So it is important us to know follow in that manner.

Add a Comment

I would actually find it hard to believe that source language will ever matter in validating an app upload. Even with Swift, the iOS platform API (for the most part) uses the venerable Objective-C ABI, so any toolchain that can produce binaries compatible with that ABI should be valid. With sufficient patience and skill and tool support, you could write an app in assembly or Fortran or even generate the object code by flipping switches on an Altair-style front panel complete with blinkenlights. As long as the resulting packaging is valid and the code can call the needed APIs, it should work.

You are perhaps too new to iOS development

Actually I’ve been at this about 12 years but still haven’t read any version of the developer agreement in full. 😉

The clause was removed from the agreement

Sounds like the rare example of the people with relevant technical expertise within a large organization actually winning an argument.

We want to create iOS App from scratch in Objective-C.

Apple is notoriously opaque about its future directions but IMO that’s not the case here. I recommend that you watch WWDC 2022 Session 102 Platforms State of the Union, and specifically Josh’s section starting at 3:43.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

WARNING

Posts are being removed from this thread.

I recommend that you watch WWDC 2022 Session 102 Platforms State of the Union, and specifically Josh’s section starting at 3:43.

From the transcript (with my emphasis):

Josh Shaffer: A great developer platform provides tight integration between programming language, frameworks and tools. When all three fully complement one another, we can ensure that common things are easy, and even uncommon things are possible. Now, getting that right shortens the path to building a great app, and it benefits everyone. Customers get a consistent experience, like scrolling that always feels perfect. And you're able to focus your time and effort on what makes your app unique. But designs evolve, hardware advances, and what was once cutting edge becomes the expected baseline. The Objective-C language, AppKit & UIKit frameworks, and Interface Builder have empowered generations of developers. These technologies were built for each other, and will continue to serve us well for a long time to come, but over time new abstractions become necessary. For a while now, you've seen us hard at work defining the next generation of integrated language, frameworks, and tools: Swift, SwiftUI, and Xcode Previews. Tight integration in a development platform like this requires that all three pieces be designed and evolved together, both driving and driven by one another. Swift result builders were inspired by SwiftUI's compositional structure. SwiftUI's declarative views were enabled by Swift value types. And Xcode Previews was specifically designed for, and enabled by, both. Now, the result is the best development platform that we have ever built. And this year, Swift, SwiftUI, and Xcode all have fantastic updates that take this vision further, and make it even easier for you to build great apps for all of our platforms. And it all starts with Swift. Now Ben from the Swift team is gonna tell you all about what's next.

Is the "long time to come" quote what you're referring to?

• Somehow Yes, but once We developed and release binary to AppStore that time , it will be clear. I will Share my experience for sure here. So it can be helpful to others as well.

Add a Comment

Is the "long time to come" quote what you're referring to?

If I wanted to refer to a specific quote, I would have done so (-:

When I starting writing my reply yesterday I intended to call out specific quotes but, on re-listening to that section of the talk, I decided that specific quotes didn’t really cut it. IMO you need to listen to what Josh said as a whole.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

you need to listen to what Josh said as a whole.

I tried to listen but I was getting 1 FPS video with no sound. So I looked at the transcript.

Can you at least confirm whether I have quoted the right part of the transcript?