'User Assigned Device Name' in XCode Capabilities list

I got approval for User Assigned Device Name but now am stuck how to import this capability in XCode? I successfully updated my AppId in membership portal to reflect this permission, but I can't find anything in XCode to import this. I opened Editor -> Add Capability but there is no option to add User Assigned Device Name in the list!

User Assigned Device Name

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of testinstadev Down vote post of testinstadev
4.5k views

Replies

Right. Xcode’s Signing & Capabilities editor does not, in general, support managed capabilities, that is, capabilities where you must get specific approval from Apple.

To use such capabilities you’ll need the process described in Developer Account Help > Reference > Provisioning with managed capabilities. For a concrete example of this, albeit on a completely unrelated topic, see the New Process section of Using the Multicast Networking Additional Capability.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi, I got exact same problem. App ID has the entitlement approved, generated a new provision profile. I manually added the entitlement (com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name) in the entitlement file in project. But I got error on App signing screen saying the Provision Profile does not contain that entitlement. I am wondering if anybody is able to get it work.

When you added the entitlement to your .entitlements file, did Xcode do its profile repair thing?

Share and Enjoy

This is not working for me. I received approval and did the following.

1: I added the capability and it is there enabled in Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles->indentifiers->myID->additional capabilities->User Assigned Device Name is enabled,. 2:In Xcode 13 and later, once the capability is enabled for your App ID, you can configure Xcode to support automatic signing. In your app’s .entitlements file, add the assigned entitlement key and value pair.

OK where is the key and value pair shown?

In my Xcode provisioning/Xcode managed profile, I see "com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name"

OK assuming this is the key and value as described somewhere online, not in documentation that I can, I put that into my entitlements file along with Boolean YES

I get this: Automatic signing failed. Xcode failed to provision this target. Please file a bug report at https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and include the Update Signing report from the Report navigator.

Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning

Profile: com.xxxxx.***" doesn't match the entitlements file's value for the com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name entitlement

OK assuming this is the key and value as described somewhere online

Well, the docs show the key (com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name) and the type (Boolean). They don’t explicitly say that you have to use a Boolean true value, but that’s not a huge leap.

To debug your problem:

1. Find the provisioning profile that Xcode is using.

2. Dump its entitlements allow list using the commands from TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

3. Confirm that com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name is present with a Boolean value of true.

4. Open your .entitlements file and confirm that it’s using the same entitlement with a Boolean value of true.

Share and Enjoy

Find the provisioning profile that Xcode is using.

How do you find this? I thought whole point of automatic signing is to not have to do this manually. In any case assuming it's in ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles

I see a xxxxxx.mobileprovision file. But Inside Code Signing doesn't show any type of example using the mobile provisioning file.

Incredible that it is this difficult to enable an entitlement. When I tried to open a TS for it, the default entry was a question about entitlement.

Sorry that enabling something that Apple took away is so painful to enable.

Never mind, it's still not working

I don't get it. Where can I look at this? "iOS Team Provisioning Profile"

Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com.xxxx.xxxxxx" doesn't match the entitlements file's value for the com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name entitlement

I tried downloading manually the provisioning profiles and it's there with "com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name" assigned to true.

I thought whole point of automatic signing is to not have to do this manually.

Absolutely. And my experience this works just fine. However, something has gone wrong in your setup and, when things go wrong, it pays to understand how they work so that you can debug them.

How do you find this?

Try this:

1. In Signing & Capabilities, click on the info button next to Xcode Managed Profile.

2. In the popover, drag the profile icon to your desktop. Xcode will make a copy that you can then look at.

I tried downloading manually the provisioning profiles and it's there with com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name assigned to true.

Right. That’s a manually created profile. For better or worse, the Developer website does not show you Xcode-managed profiles.

Share and Enjoy

OK I did what you said. Just to be clear, I am looking at the settings by doing a quick look (spacebar on the file) which seems to work! That is handy and I am seeing exactly the same:

com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name:  true

This is a copy of the text shown when doing a quick look on the dragged profile.

And I haven't heard back from my technical support incident. The one that I pay for :-(

Thanks!

And I haven't heard back from my technical support incident.

Please drop me a line via email (my address is in my signature). Make sure to reference this thread, ’cause I get a lot email |-:

Share and Enjoy

Thanks. I just sent email.

Any solution for that, i have the same problem!

At this point it's completely embarrassing. Even if you PAY for the help, you get NONE. I appreciate Quinn's help but I paid for help and none came. I got the auto ack and that's it. NO FOLLOW UP NOTHING!

They used to care. for real. I have the proof. Not anymore.

I'm going to write Mr. Cook. You laugh, but I did before and got results fast.