Notifications in Driving Task CarPlay app

I have an app with the "Driving Task" CarPlay entitlement. When I ask for permission for notifications in CarPlay (UNAuthorizationOptionCarPlay), and I check "carPlaySetting" in the UNNotificationSettings after granting permission, it get a value "UNNotificationSettingNotSupported" (the setting is not available to your app).

Is this a bug? It feels like one. The app shows distances to some locations, and provides warnings to the user when approaching those locations. It is common for my users to use it at the same time they use a navigation app and switch between the two apps. But when they have the navigation app in foreground, they ask why my app is not showing notifications when giving an audio warning.

The notifications are not even shown on the screen of the iPhone, the screen is turned off in iPhone 14 Pro when connecting to CarPlay, and the screen does not turn on when the app is in background in CarPlay and tries to show a notification.

Replies

Notifications in CarPlay are not currently allowed for Driving Task apps. Please file a feedback request with more details on your use case! This will help us consider a policy update for a future iOS release. Thanks!

I filed the feedback request:

FB11928291

I hope a policy update will reconsider this use case.

Thank you.

• For what it's worth I have the same requirement, and have filed a request for this as well.

Add a Comment

I also filed FB 12959433. I think driving task notifications in DashBaord can be more important then seeing text message notification