Live Activity Dark mode issue with `.activityBackgroundTint(_:)`

Hello, i am implementing Live Activity and facing a problem setting custom color for widget background. I have a dedicated catalogue of colors for WidgetExtension each having light/dark variant.

The problem is, however, that widget's view changes color variants (any/dark) according to system settings, but not system background & text of widget set via .activityBackgroundTint(_:) and activitySystemActionForegroundColor(_:)

Both widget background and system button texts remain in light variant no matter what system setting was when starting Live Activity.

Later, i was able to kinda force LA background color by checking color scheme in my widget view (yellow and brown for test purposes)

.activityBackgroundTint(colorScheme == .light ? Color.surface. : Color.brown)

this would force Live Activity background to have expected color from start.

BUT

when i later change appearance in system settings Live Activity behaves weirdly, as if it was caching previous color I provided.

I installed 16.2 beta in hope that it was fixed, but noticed this behaviour 👇

system in light mode: LA start, LA background is light

set system to dark: LA background light

set system to light: LA background dark ❗️

set system to dark: do not pull notification center, do not look at LA, instead immediately 👇

set system to light: LA background light

Is there any way around this? 🙏

• I have same issue.

• Same issue.

• Same issue, still happening on iOS 17 beta 7

Replies

Using .background() instead of .activityBackgroundTint() works for iOS 16, but it always defaults to dark mode for iOS 17. Did something change in iOS 17?

any solution?