How to enable external sound device in Mac OS Virtual Machine

I have a Mac OS virtual machine (VM) on my Macbook Pro with M1 Pro chip. The VM was set up using Apple's sample code in https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization. I wonder how I can enable an external USB microphone on it. The host can recognize and record with the microphone without a problem. The VM did recognize the microphone first time I plugged in, asked for permission, and was given permission. However, it doesn't show up on my sound setting.

Accepted Reply

Thanks. The problem is not the privacy setting which controls app access to a recognized device. The problem is that the VM doesn't recognize the external sound device (see attached screenshot below from the VM, no external microphone). The external microphone can be recognized by the host and used without a problem (host can see and use both built-in and external microphones). The built-in microphone, despite being recognized in the Sound Setting, doesn't record sound at all. I tested it without external monitor so this is not a result of the clamshell mode.

• Can I reselect the "accepted answer"?

Add a Comment

Replies

The VMs should be able to record from input devices connected to the host.

Could you check if your app has access to the microphone in the system's "Privacy and Security" settings? That's the most common issue with microphones.

• Please disregard the response earlier. I think you meant the Privacy setting in the host. Yes you are right, it was off. After I switched it on, guest is able to use microphone without a problem. Thank you very much!

• Thank you. This should be the accepted answer. I misclicked the other (my own) response. I just realized you meant Privacy setting in the host system, and it works perfectly.

Add a Comment

Thanks. The problem is not the privacy setting which controls app access to a recognized device. The problem is that the VM doesn't recognize the external sound device (see attached screenshot below from the VM, no external microphone). The external microphone can be recognized by the host and used without a problem (host can see and use both built-in and external microphones). The built-in microphone, despite being recognized in the Sound Setting, doesn't record sound at all. I tested it without external monitor so this is not a result of the clamshell mode.

• Can I reselect the "accepted answer"?

Add a Comment

From the VM, the Built-in microphone is an emulated device based on the default microphone on the host.

So I am guessing the default microphone on the host isn't your external microphone. But you would like the external microphone to be passed to the VM rather than the default microphone?