SFAuthorizationPluginView NameAndPassword plugin makes login UI animation very laggy when selecting a user's avatar

We develop a custom authorization plugin for the macOS login screen. We use the SFAuthorizationPluginView class to display our plugin's UI overriding the default macOS login screen, as it is done in the NameAndPassword example (https://github.com/antoinebell/NameAndPassword).

We experience a heavy lag - both when using our plugin or NameAndPassword plugin - on the UI when we click any of the user's avatar and there is an animation in which the avatar slides into the middle of the screen, and a custom password box is appearing. This lag also comes when we go back to where the user can select another users. (deactivation of the plugin). We use of course the "List of users" login window display mode.

Here I want to emphasise the issue with the NameAndPassword example, because the source code is provided for it and it is a small example created originally by Apple.

Are you aware of any bugs in the SFAuthorizationPluginView class which blocks the main/UI thread in the above mentioned cases?

We use macOS Monterey 12.6, tried both on M1 and Intel based chipset. We tried the NameAndPassword plugin both on physical machine and Parallel's VM.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Replies

Here I want to emphasise the issue with the NameAndPassword example

Right. Given that, there’s clearly nothing that your code is doing to trigger this issue, and so I encourage you to file this as a bug.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• great, thanks. I filed a bug for it: FB11941920

Add a Comment

Thanks for advising, I created a bug report (feedback): FB11941920

Add a Comment

Is there a way to urge the processing of this bug? Or shall I file a DTS ticket instead? Thanks in advance!

Or shall I file a DTS ticket instead?

No. R&D engineering sets bug priorities based on the many demands on their time, and DTS is not able to boost the priority of bugs.

Just to set expectations here, authorisation plug-ins are a very dark and dusty corner of macOS and it can be hard to get traction on such bugs.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks Quinn!

I added Feedback as well on this same issue: FB12024018

I've seen it on other macOS versions as well from 10.15 and up.

On Anka Developer VM with 12.6.3, my auth plugin using SFAuthorizationPluginView works fine without any issues with user select animations. If its not fixable on bare metal hardware, it would be nice to disable the select user animations when an SFAuthorizationPluginView is present. It does however, look very slick when the select user animations do work without delay.

The issue is pre-existing with Apple's own sample code and that should have thrown a red flag internally.

I had already filed in 2022 as FB10755765

Add a Comment