WatchOS 9.3 Developer Mode

Hi all,

I’m trying to build a simple Apple Watch App and move on from there. When I connect my iPhone to my Mac via USB and start Xcode, Xcode recognises my iPhone and Apple Watch. In “Window > Devices and Simulators” (shift-cmd-2) it shows my iPhone and paired Apple Watch.  So far, so good. I switched my iPhone to ‘Developer Mode’ (Settings > Privacy > Developer Mode) and did the same on my Apple Watch.

The (standard ‘Hello world’) App will not run on my Apple Watch because of the “waiting for first unlock” message (see: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/716113) .

Maybe this has something to do with 'Developer Mode'. I noticed that the Developer switch on my Apple Watch is always in the “Off” position. When I switch it on, the Apple Watch reboots and aks me if I want to enter ‘Developer Mode’. Then I have to ‘trust the computer’ and the switch is in the Off position again.

So I unpaired my apple watch from my iPhone and repaired (and reinstalled) my Apple Watch. When I look in "Settings > Privacy" on my Apple Watch there is no ‘Developer Mode’ switch anymore. The last item in the list is ‘Focus’ and then the ‘Report’ option. 

The Apple Watch and iPhone both have Bluetooth enabled, both have Handoff enabled and are on the same WiFi network. Rebooted the iPhone and Apple Watch several times.

Anybody know how I can have the ‘Developer Mode’ option (switch) return on my Apple Watch?

iPhone XR, iOS 16.3 / Apple Watch Ultra, WatchOS 9.3 / Xcode 14.2

Thanks in advance!

• For some reason I just got it to work. The weird thing is I first started the companion iOS app on the iPhone, and then while still running that app on the iPhone, I switched scheme in Xcode to the watch app, and ran it, and for whatever reason it installed and launched properly on my watch. First time this worked in Xcode 14.

Add a Comment

Replies

You seem to have done all that's possible.

However, a few more checks:

• Are you sure your iPhone is in developer mode ? Can you build an app on the iPhone ?
  • Did you turn developer mode ON with iPhone connected by USB.

Hope that helps, otherwise you should contact support.

Good luck.

Thnx Claude31!

Yes, my iPhone is in Developer Mode. I've switched Developer Mode off, restarted my iPhone, turned Developer Mode on with my iPhone connected by USB (and Xcode active). Restarted my Apple Watch (has to trust the device again). Everything is fine but still no option for my Apple Watch to enter Developer Mode )or to run my app on my Apple Watch.

@Jbmechanic, Thnx! Unfortunately that didn't do the trick for me. I can start the app on my iPhone, switch the scheme to the Apple Watch and then I still get the "waiting for first unlock" message (again)

@Xcode_Starter You should contact support (better by phone). Link in Contact us at the bottom of the page.